Start a new topic

Downgrading CafeTran - If needed

I'm currently using a rather old version of CT, but am thinking of upgrading to the latest version to try out some of the new functionality.

The problem, however, is that my MacBook Pro doesn't seem to recognise the keyboard shortcuts that CT uses, so I have to script my own via Keyboard Maestro. This can be very time consuming. If I upgrade to the newest version of CT and find this breaks all my shortcuts, can I easily go back to my current version?

Thanks,

Will

Moi: ...it's also very unlikely it has been changed

And it cannot have been changed, because it's not in the .jar.

CafeTran.Training exit.

H.

About the Java plist that's controls CafeTran too, Van den Broek writes: And it cannot have been changed, because it's not in the .jar. // Looks to me that your knowledge of OS X needs an update. Did you really verify what your claim? That the settings file cannot be changed just because it's not in CafeTran's jar? Sorry Will, for not warning you before :(. I've been too busy.

CafeTran.Training: Looks to me that your knowledge of OS X needs an update.

I'm on macOS, so it's you who needs an update. And yes, I did verify. I verified the .plist, but for more relevant is that all CT updates and upgrades concern the .jar. That's what you'd find in the .zip you download from F reshdesk to update, if you had the guts to open it.

Sorry Will, for not warning you before :(. I've been too busy.

Lucky Will.

Comes down to you not understanding macOS and CafeTran, and more. It's a shame that you're allowed to call yourself CafeTran.Training, how hilarious it may be.

H.

So how, dear Hans, do you explain that Will lost his settings?

Lenting: So how, dear Hans, do you explain that Will lost his settings?

I wish I knew. On the other hand, it's not the first time Will's Mac behaves differently than all other Macs, so to say. The other mystery is why Time Machine doesn't seem to work as advertised on his Mac, and on his Mac only.

H.

What an unpleasant exchange to wake up to. :(

The facts of the situation:

1. I placed the new installation in its own folder away from my existing executable file and launched it.

2. It opened a complete mess of an installation. I couldn't resized windows, move anything around and it wouldn't recognise my glossary file.

3. I closed and deleted the new installation.

4. I opened my existing, previously fully functioning installation.

5. It said my licence was no longer valid, I couldn't resize any windows, it didn't recognise my glossary file and it looked like some sort of Frankenstein hybrid between the new installation and my stable installation from 2015.

6. I contacted support and Igor said I would have to hit the reset button to correct the problem. This resulted in me having to set everything back up from scratch. Igor also added that I should have hit the reset button after I had launched the new installation. This would, of course, have produced the same result - wiping all my settings.

So, in summary, don't upgrade unless you are aware that you'll need to reconfigure your setup.

I'm finished with this now.

Will

Will: ...don't upgrade unless you are aware that you'll need to reconfigure your setup

In the good ol' days, you could save the settings, but that button is missing nowadays. Apart from those settings, you'll also have to restore your .res files, spelling dics, database, and what have you.

And the only purpose of the whole thing was to check if your homemade shortcuts would still work in the latest version...

H.

Hi there,

The user might really expect some interface changes when the two remote CafeTran's versions are run on the same computer. Even then recreating the layout and the colors from the old version after the reset, which has been Will's concern, is not that hard in the latest version. It just offers more flexibility than the old version.

IK: ...two remote CafeTran's versions...

What's remote here? I tried running a second CT version quite often, and I never encountered the problems Will's been facing. However, the test version was always "installed" on the desktop.

The other thing I don't understand is why in Will's case Time Machine messed things up. For me it was a life saver time and again.

H.

> What's remote here?

In Will's case, it is the fact that he wished to maintain the window layout - docked tabs (via the settings) from one or two year-old version. It is impossible without the resetting and joining/docking the tabs from scratch in the new version.

IK: It is impossible without the resetting and joining/docking the tabs from scratch in the new version.

Thanks, but I don't think it's necessary to maintain the old layout to test a few keyboard shortcuts... (that I still think shouldn't have been necessary anyway).

H.

Login to post a comment