Start a new topic

Downgrading CafeTran - If needed

I'm currently using a rather old version of CT, but am thinking of upgrading to the latest version to try out some of the new functionality.

The problem, however, is that my MacBook Pro doesn't seem to recognise the keyboard shortcuts that CT uses, so I have to script my own via Keyboard Maestro. This can be very time consuming. If I upgrade to the newest version of CT and find this breaks all my shortcuts, can I easily go back to my current version?

Thanks,

Will

Helton: If I upgrade to the newest version of CT and find this breaks all my shortcuts, can I easily go back to my current version?

Don't upgrade, Mr. Helton. Just download the complete latest version of CT, and "install" (save) it somewhere, though in another directory than the old version. Then, wait and see, or rather, work and see. This would sort of guarantee the old version remains unaffected when trying the latest version.

H.

The problem, however, is that my MacBook Pro doesn't seem to recognise the keyboard shortcuts that CT uses...

You can change the problematic shortcuts in Edit > Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts tab.

Igor

Thanks, Hans and Igor.

@Hans - I'll download the latest version and put it in its own folder in my Apps directory. Hopefully that will isolate it enough that it won't impact on my current installation.

@Igor - I tried doing this once before, but it didn't seem to work, which is my I started using Keyboard Maestro, but I'll give it a try with the new installation of CT and see how I go.

Regards,

Will

I've just tried to find a link in the forum for downloading the latest full version (not an upgrade version), but can't find this on the forum. All I find as links for updating via drag-and-drop.

Can anyone advise where the download of the latest version is located? Or do I need to use the version located here?

https://www.cafetran.com/download-for-mac/

If I find this works as expected with my system, do I then do a drag and drop update of my older installation or can I just transfer my licence key and keep working with the new installation?

Thanks,

Will

Will: Or do I need to use the version located here?

Yep.

If I find this works as expected with my system, do I then do a drag and drop update of my older installation or can I just transfer my licence key and keep working with the new installation?

Don't drag/drop the newer version, you'll use any and all settings. Just upgrade the old version, by downloading the .jar from F reshdesk or copy it from the newly downloaded version.

H.

Thanks, Hans.

So I can copy the .jar file from the new version and paste it into my existing version and that will upgrade it?

Will

Helton: So I can copy the .jar file from the new version and paste it into my existing version and that will upgrade it?

Yep. That is, it'll work, if your version isn't too old. And then again, you do use Time Machine, don't you, Mr. Helton?

H.

Indeed I do, O Great One. :)

W.

Well, here's an update on trying out the latest version of CT on a machine that already has an existing installation.

They don't play well together.

I placed the new installation in a separate folder and launched the new CT and it wrecked my existing installation. :(

I've spent the last couple of hours setting my machine back up like it was before trying the new version of CT and it's still not like I used to have it, but I can work with it.

Caveat user. :)

Will

I can confirm this. I have replaced an old CafeTran installation with the newest build and noticed that the settings of the old one are lost.

I don't understand on what Hans van den Broek based his advice :(.

Lenting: I have replaced an old CafeTran installation with the newest build and noticed that the settings of the old one are lost.

Only a Lenting can be that stupid.

I don't understand on what Hans van den Broek based his advice

My advice was: "Just upgrade the old version, by downloading the .jar from F reshdesk or copy it from the newly downloaded version."

That's the .jar, not the .app.

H.

Will: I placed the new installation in a separate folder and launched the new CT and it wrecked my existing installation

Highly unlikely. It's a package. But then again, you always seem to have other Mac operaton systems than I have.

I've spent the last couple of hours setting my machine back up like it was before trying the new version of CT and it's still not like I used to have it

Impossible. If you use Time Machine, it'd take a minute or so to arrive back at the previous situation. But then again...

H.

I don't think that your advice is valid Van den Broek! The plist file got changed. And it's very likely that you knew that! BTW: even if Will would have created a second account, he still would have lost his plist! So please refrain from giving this wrong advice.

Lenting: The plist file got changed.

The .plist doesn't contain anything that could "wreck" Will's installation, and it's also very unlikely it has been changed.

So please refrain from giving this wrong advice

Please stop humbugging, and STFU.

H.

Login to post a comment