Start a new topic

REQ: Mark Upper/Lower Case differences in matches

Based on a posting in the German u-cat list, one question:

Source 1:

Please give the go ahead before the Meeting.

Source 2:

Please give the Go Ahead before the meeting.

Now for the target segment 2 there appears the target segment 1 as 100 % hit with the remark "Different source".

Now for me as translator into German this is great, as upper/lower case rarely brings a different meaning in the languages I work with, but I know that this could be the case quite often when translating from German (Hans, any point on this?).

While Trados crosses out the words written in upper/lower case and sets the other word behind them, memoQ has a pretty nice way to handle this situation: it simply puts the font color a bit different (and sets the fuzzy to 99 %). 

Are there chances:

• to mark the words with the wrong case in another color (e.g. dark grey or dark violet)?
  • to handle the way wrong cases are worked with (e. g. kind of punishing the fuzzy rate when wrong case)?

1 person likes this idea

>but I know that this could be the case quite often when translating from German (Hans, any point on this?)

Indeed, Torsten, I always set my TM to case-sensitive.

IMHO, setting the TM to case-sensitive is only the second-best option.

With a case-sensitive TM, the example above would be a 62,5 % match (3 words out of 8 different). There should be another differenciation of lower/upper case, don't you think?

Just for illustration:

Ich werde Sie umbringen. -> I will kill you.

Ich werde sie umbringen.  -> I will kill her.

To put i short, would it be possible to display the example above as follows?

or

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment