Start a new topic

Wordfast 5.1 and the Philosopher's stone

I got an email telling me that Wordfast (5.1) now can directly import Studio packages (but w/o mentioning if with TMs and TBs). Could be one USP (not the most important) less for CT.

Very interesting that Wordfast Pro 3 keeps being promoted on their website. I was delighted with the rather free dragging around of tabs and windows in 3, but 4 and 5 have a really rigid, not so good interface. 

The sentence „Wordfast Pro 5 is the only major commercial TM tool on the market that runs natively on Windows and Mac.“ is really interesting. If there wasn't „major“ – a relative term, CT has a part of the Proz.com community behind him – Igor could easily sue them (or at least nag). And nice to see that WF does not understand the word „native“ for apps. This is marketing blurb if you ship Java with the app, most people won't really question this. 

1 person likes this idea

>I got an email telling me that Wordfast (5.1) now can directly import Studio packages (but w/o mentioning if with TMs and TBs). Could be one USP (not the most important) less for CT.

One would have to determine, how good that support really is. Igor has been improving support for years now. My estimation is that WFP doesn't reach the level that CafeTran guarantees.

All in all, Wf Company (and Transperfect behind it) isn't afraid to use more marketing shouting than SDL. I wonder how serious translators deal with that. If it attracts them.

>The sentence „Wordfast Pro 5 is the only major commercial TM tool on the market that runs natively on Windows and Mac.“ is really interesting.

I found that statement really annoying and also misleading.

Okay, back to work, with our very good CAT tool, called ... CafeTran. 

the only major commercial TM tool

I find it the only major distraction today. :)

I agree. I already knew that WF in case of issues on Mac recommends to create a new user account, but not that they do it for any OS

Seriously, Igor will know that competitors are permanently innovating (or copying), he does not need us to tell him. But the thing to ship Java with the program to keep things easy for newbies and to accelerate its spread might be a good idea (that you, Hans, had already).

>But the thing to ship Java with the program to keep things easy for newbies and to accelerate its spread might be a good idea (that you, Hans, had already).

Or at least so for the stable, yearly build.

Login to post a comment