Start a new topic

Moving segments from one TM to another

Hey everybody,

I've once created a TM called "misc. customers". But now I would like to move certain segments relating to a specific customer to a new TM that is intended only for this one customer.

Is there any way I can do this?

I hope I was clear on the issue I have.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Stefanie

Do you still have the project's XLIFF files? If so, you can commit them to a TM.
If you don't have them anymore, perhaps you can recreate the projects, translate them with the mixed TM etc.

Stefanie: I hope I was clear on the issue I have.

Not crystal clear, I'm afraid. I think you compiled a TM with several customers on the go, or merged several TMs into one. In other words, in your TM, you got a segment with customer FOO, one with Bar, one empty, etc. For this new TM, you need segments for say FOO. In that case, it's relatively easy, just filter the customers. Open the TM in Edit TMX Mode, select Filter in the Menu, Segment Properties, FOO. Save (merge if applicable).

H.

Now if your TM "misc. customers" doesn't contain FOO and Bar, etc. in the customer ID, I think you should filter on "date created" (default), and save the the filtered TM. I don't think you can easily add a customer ID, so I suggest importing it in an otherwise empty TM with the customer ID.

H.

Hello Stefanie, as a follow up: how did you proceed?

I'm sorry for not having replied earlier. I'm pretty busy with a large project at the moment. Woorden's response fits perfectly to my issue ;-).

I'll try later and will post if this worked.

Stefanie

I have the same problem - I'd love to be able to open two TMs and move segments between the two - does anyone know a tool that does this?
Generally for this kind of thing I use Heartsome, which is OK (you have to export and then merge), but I'd love a quicker way.

A workaround may be:

1. Save the TM as a text file (Menu > Memory > Save memory as, and change the file extension to txt).
  2. Open it in Excel, and sort and split it as you wish, and save the file(s) as a tab-delimited text file again.
  3. Open the text file as TMX (Menu > Memory > Open memory; select the text file) and save it as TMX.

Please note that I'm not sure if information other than the source and the target, such as the creation date, is retained throughout this process.

@Masato: There's a much simpler way of doing the same thing, which is just to open the TMXs in a good text editor (e.g. Scite), whip out the lines you want and copy them across to the second TMX.
I'm slghtly reluctant to do this, because, whilst I'm pretty confident, I'm nonetheless not certain, that having duplicate tuids won't cause any problems and I don't want to waste time changing them.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone knows of a tool which does this in a nice way.
Right now, Heartsome won't run on my machine, so I'm reduced to the above.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone knows of a tool which does this in a nice way.

Assuming the segments in question can be identified by a property such as Client's name or any other property in the translation unit, you can filter them out clicking the Filter button and specifying the property as you open the TM via Memory > Open memory... . 

Amos: Generally for this kind of thing I use Heartsome

Strange. According to me, the way you can edit TMX files in CT is superior in any way.

H.

Igor: "Assuming the segments in question can be identified by a property such as Client's name or any other property in the translation unit, you can filter them out clicking the Filter button and specifying the property as you open the TM via Memory > Open memory... .

OK, that's interesting and a great feature.

What I actually did was to try and export them from my big general TM by filtering on the project number and then exporting, but the TMX produced only contained about half of the segments (correctly) displayed by the filter (and in the meantime I'd deleted those segment from the big general TM).

Might there be a bug there??

I got around it by finding the old project xlf and importing to the new target TM, but I wouldn't like to rely on having to do this (especially as I don't make a point of keeping old project folders).

Login to post a comment