Start a new topic

CT's Matchboard: WOW!

I just wanted to congratulate Igor on the amazing new Matchboard in CT, which basically combines a number of other views/panes/windows + functions beautifully. 

One of the things about CT that I have always found a bit difficult is juggling all of the various little windows (TBs, TMs, etc.). However, I am increasingly using only the Matchboard (& Quick search drop-down letters) while translating, and hiding and/or ignoring various little windows. This has helped me focus better on the segment at hand, rather than getting distracted because I end up looking back and forth too much while translating.

The Matchboard is already great as it is, but if I were to change or add anything, I would add more customisation options (available from the right-click area perhaps). 

Michael

How about updating your list of new features and publish it in the Freshdesk?

@Igor: Can you add the great new feature "Display longest match only" (Edit > Preferences > Glossary) to the Matchboard settings?

@Hans: Reviving our old ChangeLog is quite high up on my to-do list!

Michael

1 person likes this

I would add more customisation options (available from the right-click area perhaps).

Thanks! You already have some right-click options for the Matchbar. It is very easy to spoil a beautiful design by adding numerous options to a feature or meeting each and every single request which ends up with dozens of options. 

1 person likes this

Hi Igor,

Yes, I agree. A simple, good design beats a confusing, messy one any day!

I'm still learning to ‘read’ the Matchboard (which actually contains a wealth of data), but one thing I keep noticing is it looks like the setting ‘Display longest match only’ doesn't work in the Matchboard. Is this correct? Would it be possible to add it (optionally) to the Matchboard too? I have come to really rely on this feature, previously in other CAT tools, and now in CT as well.

When I have "Show fuzzy memory fragments" switched ON in the Matchboard, and then a "Prefix" match is shown in the Matchboard, when I hover over one of the little numbers, I am shown 3 things:

1. the relevant term pair in the middle, surrounded by an orange line (see red arrows)

2. some sort of context above and below the relevant term pair (see blue arrows), which I do not understand .

@Igor: What are these exactly? Are they mentioned in the Freshdesk solutions section somewhere?

What are these exactly?

This is the context of the match - the preceding and following translation unit in the translation memory. Of course, it assumes the translation units are stored in the linear fashion like in CafeTran. Other tools may have stored the units randomly. Then, the context wouldn't have much sense.

Aha, yes, I see that now. Thanks!

Uhm, to be honest, with most of my TMs, and even if in the CT format, this is actually rather distracting, rather than useful. Could we maybe have a switch to turn it ON/OFF?

I find it very hard to quickly figure out (visually) where the relevant segment (the only one I am interested in; "TU #2" below) is shown after hovering on a number. They are surrounded by orange lines, but still, the result of three different translation units, stacked on top of each other, especially because of their order:

TU #1: source

TU #2: source

TU #3: source 

TU #1: target

TU #2: target 

TU #3: target

I think the following order would be easier to make sense of quickly:

TU #1: source

TU #1: target

TU #2: source 

TU #2: target

TU #3: source 

TU #3: target

However, even with the changed display order, I don't think I would ever want/need to look at the preceding or following TU in the TMX, as this won't help me figure out if the hit is of any use, especially if I'm in a hurry, which I usually am when glancing at a numbered memory hit.

Michael

Hi Igor,

I only just realised that the same system of displaying the preceding & following TU is also used in the Memory pane, where I'm having the same problem, and would much prefer to have this context feature optional. I now realise this is why I always have to click on the number (so as to open the actual TU) if I want to see the relevant TU clearly.

Michael

PS: if it's not possible to make it optional, could we have the orange surrounded part shaded light grey instead, or the orange line a bit thicker?

The latest build displays the translation unit info more eye-friendly.

1 person likes this

I like it!!

Login to post a comment