Start a new topic

REQ: Check if TMs are 2 x opened

It might not happen often, but sometimes the same TM can be opened twice by accident (as the TMs opened with the file dialog are appended to the list and for that reason in most cases not visible, and there might be cases where you need up to half a dozen of TMs).

At least on Mac this leads to 

• TM tabs cannot be closed
  • erratic behaviour with TMs not being updated (but instead Total Recall is being updated, although the TR TM is read-only and segments are being confirmed only after, not during the TR segments have been loaded)

Usually, closing the tab should do the trick, but this wasn't possible here.

Shouldn't there be 

• a check if the same file is checked twice?
  • and/or a function to force the closing of tabs (if this is necessary at all)?
  • and/or a possibility to have the TMs opened with the file dialog at the top of the list to have them better in sight?

Hm, I am unsure whether I can reproduce this, but this is what happened to me.

• open a new project including opening a TM via the file dialogue 
  • work on a project
  • close CT
  • open CT, TM is at the very top, checked
  • two tabs of the same TM are opened (one with an asterisk)
  • close project
  • there are two entities of the same TM checked – one at the top, one at the bottom
  • uncheck the TM at the bottom and reopen the project
  • two tabs of the same TM are opened (one with an asterisk)

At least opening CT and having the same TM checked twice should be avoided.,,

Thanks for the clear description. It will be easier to catch and fix it.  

Is this the reason I sometimes get a repeated tab with an asterisk? Then, that tab seems to "go rogue". I cannot for the life of me close it and it will also be unresponsive to, for instance, new term additions, if that tab happens to be a glossary. Am I the only one? What am I doing wrong? :_(

I can confirm this.

That might occur if you run CafeTran from two different locations, that is, the TM or glossary is accessed from two running instances of the program.  Then, the project opens with the settings from the first CT run, while the second CT run has its own settings for the resources causing their doubling. Please run CafeTran with the same project from one set location on your machine.

The doubling of resources can be reproduced by the examples above. It can happen by error or by accident, not necessarily by running „CafeTran from two different locations“. In the actual version this issue can only be avoided by heavily using templates (this is sometimes cumbersome with the actual feature set) and checking the dashboard twice – unfortunately not all resources remain there at sight.

This is essentially the same issue reported here. CT doesn't play nicely when two resources have the same name.

In my case this was caused by having glossaries and TMs with the same name (which I tended to do quite a lot with direct customers). I was advised to avoid doing so – which doesn't of course cover the case here.

The proper solution would be for CT to assign a unique identifier to each resoruce on opening it, rather than using the name to refer to it, but Igor at the time didn't want to take that approach.

Note that Igor's comment: "That might occur if you run CafeTran from two different locations, that is, the TM or glossary is accessed from two running instances of the program." appears to me to miss the point – there are multiple ways of triggering this issue.

It happens when I open the same tab twice. It is also resistant to me closing the program. When I reopen it, the asterisk tab is always there and can't be closed.

> there are multiple ways of triggering this issue.

Yes, that's true. I mentioned the one I took time to confirm. However, the other ways fall into the category of the unchecked (or unusual) use cases such as opening the same resource twice or assinging the same name to various resources.

> unchecked (or unusual) use cases

Without attempting to build scenarios: when working on Studio packages you are unable to predict the TM name (if not renaming, unzipping and and and). So in the casual case of having the same name, it is the fault of the CT user? 

> it is the fault of the CT user? 

No, this is developer's fault who considered that "having the same name" of your client's TM and your own TM is highly unusual coincidence. 

Nevertheless, Igor, from the replies in this thread, it appears that this is not necessarily such a rare occurrence. Would it be possible to let the user close the unwanted tabs that are marked with an asterisk without having to quit the program or try to reopen the project after deselecting the Dashboard resources?

I will look into it for one of the coming updates. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on it.  

Login to post a comment