Start a new topic

REQ: Sort by length

Hope this is a good time to repeat this wish (preferably starting with the shortest segment).

2 people like this idea

I can see that it's useful.

For the time being, you could create a bilingual table and sort this (either via Excel or via a macro in Word).

But that's probably not what you were looking for.

There are indeed some use cases where looking at or working on the shortest segments first can be an advantage.

You can also filter on length, you're probably aware of that too.

No (didn't we treat the lack of "dicumentation" just in another thread?). In the grid? 

You have to use regular expressions (hi Hans!) in the Find dialogue box:

\A.{20,}\z

To find targets longer than 20 chars, etc.

So you'll have to repeat it several times, with different limits. I guess.

Nice, but this is not sorting, and it reminds me of taking a tank to drive to the bakery (complicated things for simple tasks). Regex is fine for sophisticated things, but not here.

Lenting: To find targets longer than 20 chars, etc.

That's not the question. The question is: sort by length.

So you'll have to repeat it several times, with different limits. I guess.

Yep. You'll have to repeat this dozens of times, and then you still haven't sorted them.

Great fun, those regexes...

H. (who thinks it cannot be done by regexes, at least not by regexes only)

Moi: (who thinks it cannot be done by regexes, at least not by regexes only)

However, it can be done with SQL, and some time ago, Igor somewhat secretly mentioned to an advanced user, SQL queries can be entered in the Find field in CT. Don't know it a query would do the trick, though. Converting the source doc/XLF to a table can be done, but you'll lose any formatting and things, and I take it winning time is of the essence here.

H.

Yes please, sort by length would be nice!

Torsten, I wrote: You can also filter on length, you're probably aware of that too.

You: Nice, but this is not sorting,

I: True. And I didn't claim so.

Hans vd Broek: Hi, Hans, how are you doing today?

:-D

Login to post a comment