Normally (as in: always), I translate German > Dutch. For this source language, I find it very useful to set the glossary to Match Case.
Now, I have to translate English > Dutch and I noticed that the prioritised target term (open the context menu, select the preferred target term with the left mouse button) isn't remembered.
When I set the glossary matching to Match Case, all works fine:
However, I find this a contra-productive setting for English as a source language.
So, could this dependance on the Match Case setting be resolved?
Please note: if this has any drawbacks for term recognition with German as source language, please don't touch the running system.
Igor, do you have any further info on this? Would it be possible to make the manual override (and especially the remembering of the manual override) available for glossaries with Match Case is False, too? I'm kind of missing this nice feature for EN > NL.
It seems you wish to overwrite case-sensitiveness settings of terms across various glossaries with your manual term choice. The overwriting feature is case dependent - what you overwrite with is what you get. I think making it otherwise may lead to other issues or misunderstandings in other language pairs.
I only work with one glossary for EN > NL. I don't see why the setting Match case for this particular glossary should influence the useful feature to let other target terms than the first one (from that glossary) have the highest priority in AA. (That is: the feature works, but only once per selection. The selected result isn't remembered during the session.)
It works with that glossary when I set Match case to True. But that's not a useful setting for English as a source language.
So I'd be grateful if the same fantastic feature would also work when Match case is set to False.
This magnificent feature is really important for me, since English words do not always use endings to indicate meaning: check can mean the whole verb, the imperative or a noun. So keeping the selected translation, e.g. the imperative, when translating a long list of instructions, is quite essential (okay, I'll survive if I cannot use it, but nevertheless: essential). Putting the imperative as first translation, is not a solution: there has to be a system in entering the targets. For now, I've decided to put the whole verb first. All in all, quite an interesting experience this translating from English (instead of German). Totally different things are relevant.
I slightly improved this feature in the latest build making the overriding term case-insensitive. If it does not work for you, there is nothing more it can be done with it.
Wow. I'll download as soon as possible. I'm quite sure that this'll be what I need.
IK: ...there is nothing more it can be done with it
Of course there isn't, English is a rather primitive language, after all. However, you can add phrases to your TM for Fragments. It won't be perfect, but it's a beginning.
check - controleren
Check: - Controleer:
Check the - controleer de
I check - ik controleer
Many thanks, Igor. Exactly what I was hoping for.