Start a new topic

Segment patterns: still supported?

I remembered the existence of Segment patterns and created one. I was wondering: is this technique still supported?

1 person likes this idea

I did a test and it did not work for me. My steps:

Added fragment translation for test pattern: "Roses are {1} and fragments are {2}." (Les roses sont {1} et les fragments sont {2})

Added glossary entries for {1} and {2}.

When going to the fragment with this segment pattern, the auto-assembling gives:

"Les roses sont ."

Note: I used Keep out of Auto-assembling on the other TMs to avoid mixing results.

At that time I had no time to test it and since then I've forgotten to test it, but my impression was that it didn't work correctly.

Yes, segment patterns are still supported.

> Added fragment translation for test pattern

Did you add the pattern via CafeTran's "Add fragment to memory" editor. If you add the pattern via another (external) editor, please make sure that the pattern is preceded by ? character.

When going to the fragment with this segment pattern.

Of course, the source segment text should be in the natural form (not the pattern with {} characters.  

Hi Igor,

It's not working for me.

complete source segment:

De vervoerder heeft het recht de zaken als deklast te vervoeren, zonder verplicht te zijn hiervan aan de afzender kennis te geven.

I wish to make a segment pattern for:

zonder verplicht te zijn hiervan aan de afzender kennis te geven

without being obliged to notify the consignor thereof

I added the following segment pattern to my glossary:

?zonder verplicht te zijn hiervan aan de {1} kennis te geven

?without being obliged to notify the {1} thereof

AA produces exactly and only:

Without being obliged to notify the thereof.

I.e., it does not insert the word "consignor", and ignores the rest of the segment ("De vervoerder heeft het recht de zaken als deklast te vervoeren…" )

What am I doing wrong here?

Insert the question mark only at the source side.

Hmm, makes no difference. Still doesn't work. Now AA inserts only: 

Without being obliged to notify the Consignor: thereof.

Also, if you add the term pair via the "New term" dialogue, CT automatically places to question marks: one preceding the source, and one preceding the target entry.

to question marks > two question marks (sorry, dictating)

to question marks > two question marks (sorry, dictating)

Hi Michael,

It looks you are expecting a match for a fragment pattern (not a segment pattern). Fragment patterns - identifying fragments within fragments are not supported. Segment patterns are there to match the whole segments. In your scenario, you might add several {} placeholders to widen the match to the whole segment.

Igor 

>It looks you are expecting a match for a fragment pattern (not a segment pattern).

Aaaahhh, hence the confusion...

Ahaa! Thanks Igor.

Login to post a comment