Start a new topic

Translating an Excel file

I have a client who has sent me an Excel document. It has various columns from A-H. He wants me to translate only column B only and have it appear alongside in column C (so you can still see the source in column B)

I have not done this before. Can anyone point me to the place in the manual that explains it, or let me know how to do it here. 

Thank you.

Hi Lizzy,

Make sure that your export column (C) in Excel is empty.

As you choose your Excel file for translation:

1. Select the Filter tab in the Project Configuration panel. You will notice three fields there.

2. Type the name of the import column (B) in the first field (Import source column).

3. Type the name of the export column (C) in the third field (Export column).

Igor 

Thank you. What is the second field for?

The second field is for the target language Excel column with the segments already existing (e.g. for reviewing the translation).

Hi,
How do you proceed when you have to simply overwrite the source file (replace all the source cells with the translation)?

Aaaargh, I got it: just ignore the filter. 

1 person likes this
I'm just translating an Excel file, where - as above - columns A and B are to be translated and the translation inserted into columns C and D.
But, columns C and D are not empty as the first two rows contain headers. In addition, in row 1, columns A&B and C&D are merged (which I imagine might also present a problem).
As I understand the above, this means I cant use the filter options. Is that correct?
If so: as this is (in my experience) quite a common case, would it be possible to add the capability to ignore the first n rows?

Also, Igor, I really don't understand your explanation of the second field (the description of which is also entirely opaque): "The second field is for the target language Excel column with the segments already existing (e.g. for reviewing the translation)." Could you clarify this.

I think in this case, you will be able to translate your file in two projects:

One - import column A and export column C.

Two - import column B and export column D.

"The second field is for the target language Excel column with the segments already existing (e.g. for reviewing the translation)." Could you clarify this.

This is the case where both source and target columns are already filled in with source and target segments respectively. Your task would be to review and correct the target (translation).

Login to post a comment