CafeTran Espresso 2017 - Yeddi Update 9

Hi,

CafeTran Espresso 2017 Yeddi update 9 is available for download. The update can be performed via the Drag & Drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20170508_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

Alternatively, you can install the update via the Update button in the Help > About panel instead of dragging and dropping.

What's new:

• Project templates. This update adds the templates feature which stores in a template file the selected CafeTran resources from the Dashboard (Total Recall memories, TMX translation memories, glossaries and Web resources), language pair, windows layout and colors to use for a new project. See the new menu button next to the language pair boxes in the Dashboard to save or load project templates.
  • Total Recall memories with segments in regional variants of a given language are recognized automatically in the projects with a different variant for the same language.
  • Remembering the state of the new previously unconfirmed segments when leaving them unfinished in the target segment editor (e.g. by switching to the Filter view).
  • Resetting the preferences does not reset the language pair, the list of recent projects and selected resources in the Dashboard.
  • New segment navigation command - "Add segment to memory and go to next untranslated segment" (default keyboard shortcut - CTRL+ENTER). 

Igor

5 people like this

Hi!
Thanks very much for the update Igor.
One observation ->
In the past, Ctrl+Enter did a search on selected text without opening the find box, but I can't see how to set another shortcut for this. Am I missing something?

The templates implementation is a new feature and may be further refined in later updates. However in its current form, it gives the user the control over the organization of the template files the same way they manage their other documents in the system (e.g. choosing a folder, moving, renaming and deleting them). So the user can simply assign a folder for the .xml template files wherever he/she wishes and can even share them (e.g. via Dropbox). It also frees CafeTran from additional complexity of the interface such as more interface buttons, menus or a special database for templates. As for the .xml extension, I assume the low probability of mixing .xml templates files with other .xml files just in a folder assigned for templates. To put is simply, you are free to organize your .xml template files as you like. CafeTran can only create and access them. I don't think any additional template file management features are necessary in CT interface.  

> To put is simply, you are free to organize your .xml template files as you like.

Yes, sure, but the danger of having all xml files for CT in one folder might be a bit higher than you suppose. Maybe at least a warning of "You are going to load a preferences file" before overwriting anything or "This is not a template file" might be helpful.

Concerning these prompts (you dislike), some programs have a radio button "Don't show this message again" to keep this warning hidden.

Maybe at least a warning of "You are going to load a preferences file" before overwriting anything or "This is not a template file" might be helpful. 

Yes, sometimes it is a good idea (e.g see your point in the past about the warning when closing the project). But here the user already knows what they are going to do (by clicking the menu, choosing the "Project templates" submenu and then a template file itself. Three prompts on what you are about to do!

In the past, Ctrl+Enter did a search on selected text without opening the find box, but I can't see how to set another shortcut for this. Am I missing something?

CafeTran usually does not conform to the keyboard shortcuts introduced in other CAT tools. In this case however, I learnt the CTRL+Enter is a popular shortcut for segment navigation, hence the change. The new shortcut for the search (Default scope) is CTRL+SHIFT+G. You can swap them in Preferences if you prefer.

> new shortcut for the search (Default scope) is CTRL+SHIFT+G

Ah, OK. I thought it was probably as simple as that.
Didn't know it was called "Default scope", as I only found it by accident because I kept pressing Ctrl+Enter to try and confirm segments.... ;)

J

My first instinct was to create a separate directory for the project templates when prompted to save the first template...

It sure can be refined, but it is already a very useful feature and addition!

CafeTran has come a long way since I started using it (mid 2015) and it is coming along nicely.

On the point about preserving changes, this works great when applying filters, but changes are still discarded when merging segments (though apparently not when splitting segments?).
It's very common to get part way through a segment and realise that the next segment should be merged, so this is in my opinion quite important.

Thanks, I am new to this. I am looking around and don't know where to find the latest build.

Is it still 2017051001? I am used to programs that allow you to check for updates and download them from within the program.

Thanks for your help.

The new build of update 9 is available (2017051101) with two minor changes:

• remembering projects' location settings in project templates.
  • keeping target segment editor's contents when joining current empty target segment with the next non-empty target segment.

To apply this build, please follow the steps described in the first announcement post of this topic. 

3 people like this
I am not sure, but wouldn't it make sense to integrate the sub-menu into the main menu?

Saying:

Project templates

__

EN-DE

FR-DE

--

Open project template...

Save project template...

I simply assume that the common user might have not more than ten templates, and this would keep the UI tidy. And one click less...

By the way, the points do not make sense for "Open project template", and the other menu command should be "Save project template as..." (as there always pops up the Save as dialog box).

Okay, I'd like to addd my mustard to, since this new templates feature obviously is a work in progress that is demand-driven ;).

In my office, specific clients come with files in specific formats, e.g. Transit.

CafeTran can detect file formats like MS Office, but not e.g. Transit.

So for my situation it would be very handy if the project for client El Specifi CO. would also store the file format Transit. 

Having done four project today with the same template though, I was wondering if there is a way to remember what tabs were joined in the hits/results window e.g. for a specific template.

In my template, I have x2 read-only TBs, x1 editable TB, x1 project TM, which I keep joining back to the Matchboard, as that gives me all the info I need at a glance. Great if the template included the tab layout.

On a side note, selecting/deselecting "Vertical tabs divider" and/or "Vertical docking divider" doesn't seem to do anything. How can I display joined tabs one on top of the other screen-width top to bottom, rather than lengthwise right-left?
With windows detached, I find it much more convenient to have the info horizontal

I've noticed that Machine Translation results do not show in the Matchboard anymore, even if "Show machine translation" is ticked. 

Anyone else can reproduce this?

The templates remember which two tabs were joined and which ones were docked. Try to use up the multiple docking spaces available to have more tabs in one view.

On a side note, selecting/deselecting "Vertical tabs divider" and/or "Vertical docking divider" doesn't seem to do anything

It does have an effect on the two tabs to be joined. 

Login to post a comment