Start a new topic

REQ: Don't overwrite or discard changes when switching or merging segments

At present, if I'm halfway through typing and I a) decide I need to merge (or split?) the segment, or b) I do a search and then navigate to another segment in the grid (e.g. I spot a mistake which needs fixing), my changes are discarded. This is very frustrating. Could this be fixed please.

Hi,
I agree, the deletion of the current segment after searching for phrases within a source and target document is very frustrating.

Regards

Wojciech

I don't quite understand the issue. CafeTran does not delete the current segment when the search is performed. Of course, if you change the view (e.g. turning on the Filter view or QA view) you need to confirm the current segment before leaving it. If you don't confirm it, the program will bring back the original state of the segment when you return to it. In other words, changing the view DOES NOT confirm the segment - you can confirm it by the Next or Move buttons.

Hi Igor,
the issue is, " if you change the view (e.g. turning on the Filter view or QA view) [...] the program will bring back the original state of the segment when you return to it." This is not a desirable behaviour.
Also, please address the same issue when merging and splitting segments.
Cheers,
Jeremy

I would also like to see this improvement: that is, characters present in the current target segment (whether confirmed or not) are not automatically cancelled or replaced by a TM match etc. upon returning to it after doing some other task with the Grid (filtering, among others).

Cheers,

CafeTran joins two segments as follows:

- when the target segments are empty, they are joined on the source side only - the target side in the editor is unaffected.

- when the target segments are non-empty, they are also joined together - the target side in the editor shows joined two segments. I understand you wish to join them while one of them is still being edited, that is, the unconfirmed (uncompleted) state should overwrite the confirmed state. I don't know if it is possible to accomplish given the fact that the tags need to be preserved at joining. If the target segments are non-empty, CafeTran can join the confirmed segments only so you should join them first and then edit - not the other way around.   

Mistake:
> characters present in the current target segment (whether confirmed or not which are being edited) are not automatically cancelled

Hi,
I also believe that bringing back the original state of the current target segment (after turning on and then off the Filter view) should not consist in presenting an empty segment only because unfinished one was not confirmed prior to searching.
Of course, it is possible to confirm an unfinished current segment and then immediately go back to it before a search (what I actually do so as not lose my work) but this disturbs the workflow and is definitely not user-friendly.
                                                                  Regards

Wojciech

1 person likes this
The thing is searching often involves turing on the Filter view (when you want to check terminological consistnecy in all translated segments.

Wojciech

Wojciech > I also believe that bringing back the original state of the current target segment (after turning on and then off the Filter view) should not consist in presenting an empty segment only because unfinished one was not confirmed prior to searching

+1

I would definitely be in favour of a few more segment statuses, particulalry "Edited" (segments I have typed in, but not confirmed or checked). It's particularly frustrating when you've typed a long-ish sentence, got to a part of the sentence where it is useful to filter segments, maybe go back to another segment because you want to change something, then you lose everything you have just typed in the unconfirmed segment.

Login to post a comment