Start a new topic

REQ: Maintenance of Total Recall (Export to TMX & Replace TR tables)

There is one point that I'd like to detach from this one.

Short summary:

• maintenance of TR databases is error-prone (Igor)
  • maintenance of TR databases can be avoided by working with and leveraging project TMs and glossaries (Woorden)
  • maintenance of TR databases in SQLite editors is a mess (my experience, this is why I understand Igor's point)
  • when working on TR databases you might kill any cross reference (my assumption)

The best way of TR maintenance actually is

• maintain a TMX file or glossary file (well, this is never a really bad idea) that should be an exact copy of the TR table content
  • delete TR table
  • edit TMX file content in CT or any other TM editor
  • import new TR table from the TMX

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Export TMX feature" (there isn't any, is there) in Total Recall and a "Reimport"-feature (that actually is a "Replace"-feature, to get all indexes back)? Both would facilitate this maintenance task.

Perhaps even a direct (mass) editing and reindexing of TR in CT would be a nice-to-have (not only single segments).

BTW:

When playing around with the SQLite editor, I saw that not all tags had been stripped from the TR segments. Is this possible?

Torsten: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Export TMX feature" (there isn't any, is there) in Total Recall

I thought there was an export feature, but it seems there isn't (anymore). However, lost of (free) browsers viewers offer the export to .csv, which can be imported as .tmx in CT.

I don't think "maintenance" is worth the trouble, though.

H.

"lost" is "lots" of course. F reshdesk.

H.

That's the point. I do not think it is a good idea to simply export a DB, edit it with an external tool and and reimport it, because these external tools can always do sth wrong, e.g. setting the wrong encoding, deleting cross-references (if there are any, are there?) and so on.

You can recall the whole TR table for maintenance. Simply uncheck the "Recall in context" box in Total Recall options to recall all segments from the table. Then, perform any Task actions on the recalled segments. Next, create a new table and store the TM (after maintenance actions) in the new table. Finally, remove the old table from Total Recall. 

1 person likes this
You can recall the whole TR table for maintenance. Simply uncheck the "Recall in context" box in Total Recall options to recall all segments from the table.

Nice to know, great.

Then, perform any Task actions on the recalled segments.

Eh, how? There is no feature to save or export this full TR TM, is there?

Then, perform any Task actions on the recalled segments. Next, create a new table and store the TM (after maintenance actions) in the new table. Finally, remove the old table from Total Recall.

It would be nice to have these steps compacted, e.g. by adding a command "Replace memory in Total Recall" besides "Store memory in Total Recall".

IK: You can recall the whole TR table for maintenance.

Brilliant.

H.

Eh, how? There is no feature to save or export this full TR TM, is there?

There is such a feature. Just uncheck the "Read Only" box in Total Recall options panel. Then, you will be able to store the recalled TM into TMX file (Memory > Save). However, I don't think saving to tmx is necessary as you can perform the Task (menu) maintenance actions on the recalled segments directly.

This is brilliant, nice to see that some features are there, but hidden, and that even Hans did not know them. And this should be (better) documented, also because only one or two ticks change the whole game.

I hardly dare to beg for some more user friendliness, nevertheless.

Login to post a comment