Start a new topic

Total Recall tab not closing

One more ...

When opening a TR memory table via the TR menu and deleting it, the tab remains open. It even remains open when closing the project and opening another one... This might be due to the fact that I had a TR memory table and created another one with the same name (this should be impossible, shouldn't it?).

Only shutting down CT helps...

This might be due to the fact that I had a TR memory table and created another one with the same name (this should be impossible, shouldn't it?).

I was not even able to create two tables with the same name. Deleting a table removes its tab here instantly. I cannot confirm the above.

Okay, I will keep this in mind and come back to this.

Huh, it happened again. I see. Are you able to open a TR table twice? Well, I am. This must be the problem (not the deletion). The second tab (no matter which one, as far as I can see) keeps being stubborn and remains in the next project you open.

Actual workaround: Close and reopen CT.

Torsten: Are you able to open a TR table twice?

I just tried, and I can't. In fact, clicking the same table to open it again, closes the open table.

Are you talking about the tables, or the TM as a result of TR? I think there's some confusion here (and I blame the Igoresk terminology).

H.

Indeed, thanks for pointing this out.

I am talking about the resulting tabs when recalling (recalling that actually does not work here, see the other thread). Let us call it a temporary TR TM.

Torsten: I am talking about the resulting tabs when recalling

I just tried to open the resulting TM twice, and I could.

Let us call it a temporary TR TM. 

Let us call the database the Database (as in the good ol' days), and the resulting TM Recalled Segments. But that Igor is friggin' stubborn, while I am always open to new ideas and features.

H.

Some remarks about the database:

• The database table(s) can be searched blistering fast. 
    Don't think it's only useful for creating a TM out of them.
  • You can open and search several databases at once, including tables in different language pairs. I used this a lot for EU BS:

• Now his Igorness may become angry with me, but use the Recall Segments feature only when needed, that is, if the TM gets too big to handle. As a structured file, a TMX is by far superior to a plain text file, which the DB table is. The resulting TM is structured, but stripped of most of the features in the original TM.
H.

@Hans. Actually, yours is a good recommendation. However, sooner or later the translator will reach that moment when their memories become large enough to handle them via Total Recall comfortably.

@Torsten. In the latest update, CT will pop-up a info message to close the TM before you recall segments from the same table again.

Igor 

1 person likes this

IK: However, sooner or later the translator will reach that moment when their memories become large enough to handle them via Total Recall comfortably

That moment should be postponed for as long as possible. And even if you use the Big Mama approach, that probably means only in the case of TMs of a considerable size. Like more than 200k entries (apr. 1 million words SL). For a beginner, this may mean years of freelancing. So don't recommend the Recall Segments procedure from the very beginning.

H.

Login to post a comment