I am missing some instructions on how to handle TMs for huge files (here a 55 K word file).
Are there any settings I should change?
Torsten: Are there any settings I should change?
I think the PMM is the culprit. The TM cannot possibly contain more that 55k words SL, and that shouldn't be a problem for CT (200-300k words is still fine here, 600k words causes a delay of a few seconds).
H. (not a PMM fan anyway)
The slow behaviour is the same with the "Automatic" workflow (this is why I switched to 'preliminary memory matches').
Torsten: Set the TM to 'Low priority' instead of 'High priority'
But then again, it should be set to the highest possible priority. After all, "the TM only contains only the file's segments" so any other TMs should not overturn it.
I made a mistake above when I said "200-300k words is still fine here". That should have been 200-300k entries. That's a huge difference. The TM of your 55k words file cannot exceed around 10k entries, and CT should be able to handle that easily.
There's something very wrong here. I expect His Igorness to solve it, I can't (though I still think it's that PMM...).
An option might be to split the file, and/or to disable all propagate options.
> CT is unresponsive for about 10, sometimes even 30 seconds, with the progress bar at the bottom moving
The Preliminary memory matching in the background takes some processing time. You may let it complete or at least be ahead of your currently-translated segment to speed things up considerably.
Anyway, I always recommend using Total Recall to filter out any unused segments from the working TM.
IK: I always recommend using Total Recall to filter out any unused segments from the working TM.
Using Total Recall for a TM that counts 55k words SL at most seems silly to me.
There is also an option to perform the Preliminary memory matching on untranslated segments only or from the current segment. See the Translate menu. Then CT will skip any translated segments during processing. To me, it looks like the user is well ahead in the translation and the PMM starts all over from the very first segment, hence the slow down.
Total Recall is very fast as it uses indexing. Of course, you should only use it to recall existing segments from the database for the current project context. You might try to check if it is a TM issue at all by loading the project without any TMs and moving to the next segment.
IK: Of course, you should only use it to recall existing segments from the database for the current project context.
The friggin' TM is the project file, if Torsten 's claim "the TM only contains only the file's segments" is true. Since it must be fairly small:
The 3 seconds delay might involve either automatic propagation with numerous non-translatables or not sufficient Java memory (e.g 32-bit Java instead of recommended 64-bit Java for larger projects).
IK: ...might involve either automatic propagation
Now that makes sense. Not only because I mentioned it first, but also because you made changes to the propagation feature recently. No more changes please, I'm a Conservative.