Here's a problem I've had several times already:
In a segment with more than one tag, when I insert the tags in an order that's different from that of the source segment (e.g. 2-3-1 instead of 1-2-3), CT doesn't seem to remember that order. It's not only that it shows the original order (like in the source segment) when I move back to the segment later. The thing is that when I preview the target document (Alt+D), I can see that the original order is applied because the formatting of the sentence concerned is messed up. This happens regardless whether I've moved back to the segment before or not.
CT has the F3 option for placing tags in a different order. But actually, does that work at all? What's the problem? Is the content of tags (or the numbers of the target segment tags) not saved?
TIA for your help!
In cases where the tags refer to bold, italics etc., you could tag words via b.../b. But I'm sure that you are aware of that.
If you wish to change the formatting order, please use the custom tags.
Martin: Is it possible to change the tag order in such cases?
Don't know if it works, but you could try to insert the tags in the TL in the "wrong" order, and then edit the SL to reflect that order. Even if this works, you may want to keep the pair out of your TMs. And it's a solution that's not too bad for one or two segments, but you don't want to do this frequently.
The automatic merging and hiding of border tags to reduce their number to absolute minimum comes at the cost of their manipulation (reordering in this case). As I said before, the solution in CafeTran projects is to use the custom formatting tags. The custom tags for text color and background may be added in the future.
As for non-CT projects, the program does not allow tags reordering due to compatibility and to avoid any serious tag errors in the project's native tool. In the future, I hope to be able to let translators work on the tags in their raw form without any merging, hiding or abstracting to easy placement numbers - just pure coping the full (unhidden and umerged) tags from source. Then such tags reordering might be possible.
Handling SDL packages is a lot of sweat for me. I can only do my best, and please don't swear.
It's indeed impossible to colour the words correctly. I'm quite sure that Igor will come up with a solution. For urgent projects, there are workarounds.
There's already an issue in the representation of the source segments:
The return to font colour Automatic is lost.
This file in CafeTran:
Still not possible to swap tags:
Some macros are possible to solve this, but this should be solved at an app level.