Start a new topic

Inserting tags in a different order

Hello!

Here's a problem I've had several times already:

In a segment with more than one tag, when I insert the tags in an order that's different from that of the source segment (e.g. 2-3-1 instead of 1-2-3), CT doesn't seem to remember that order. It's not only that it shows the original order (like in the source segment) when I move back to the segment later. The thing is that when I preview the target document (Alt+D), I can see that the original order is applied because the formatting of the sentence concerned is messed up. This happens regardless whether I've moved back to the segment before or not.

CT has the F3 option for placing tags in a different order. But actually, does that work at all? What's the problem? Is the content of tags (or the numbers of the target segment tags) not saved?

TIA for your help!
Martin

1 person has this problem

In cases where the tags refer to bold, italics etc., you could tag words via b.../b. But I'm sure that you are aware of that.

Hi Martin,

If you wish to change the formatting order, please use the custom tags.

Igor

In yesterday's translation, two of the three tags didn't stand for bold, italics or underlined but for grey background (or grey highlighting). Is it possible to change the tag order in such cases? And if not, what is the insertion of tags via F3 good for?

Martin: Is it possible to change the tag order in such cases?

Don't know if it works, but you could try to insert the tags in the TL in the "wrong" order, and then edit the SL to reflect that order. Even if this works, you may want to keep the pair out of your TMs. And it's a solution that's not too bad for one or two segments, but you don't want to do this frequently.

H.

Using custom tags is not possible in sdlxliff files. And not all possible custom tags are supported by CT. I often see tags for font colors, especially in PowerPoint files.

And most importantly, my language pair has a big word order difference, so changing the tag sequence is part of my routine work.

Why don't CT just leave the already placed tags as they are, without "automatically" rearranging them? Why is it necessary to overwrite what has been done by the translator?

The automatic merging and hiding of border tags to reduce their number to absolute minimum comes at the cost of their manipulation (reordering in this case). As I said before, the solution in CafeTran projects is to use the custom formatting tags. The custom tags for text color and background may be added in the future.

As for non-CT projects, the program does not allow tags reordering due to compatibility and to avoid any serious tag errors in the project's native tool. In the future, I hope to be able to let translators work on the tags in their raw form without any merging, hiding or abstracting to easy placement numbers - just pure coping the full (unhidden and umerged) tags from source. Then such tags reordering might be possible.

If the number of font attributes is very limited, you can use any unused formatting in CafeTran via custom tags, say superscript and subscript. In Word (if it is a Word document that you are translating) you perform a F/R to replace superscript with grey background and subscript with grey highlighting. This is very easy. Note that you can leave the F and R fields both empty, just set the fonts. Make sure that you're in Page view, to catch all text stories. If you have to do this a lot , macros are available. Simply recording one won't do the trick in this case.
This needs fixing.
I shouldn't have to fuck about with custom tags to perform this simple function that every other tool can do without breaking sweat.
Case in point - I'm translating an SDL package with lots of footnotes (footnote markers are shown as tags in CT) and a fair bit of bold text, which if course is also tagged. Can't move the footnote markers in front of or behind the bold text.

Handling SDL packages is a lot of sweat for me. I can only do my best, and please don't swear.

Igor

Hi Igor,
I appreciate that handling SDL packages is not straightforward,, but you advertise your product as being able to handle them (not as being able to kinda, sorta handle them). That was THE reason I invested a lot of time in CT (a very modest amount of money, but a LOT of time given the number of bugs, limitations and workarounds involved in using CT). Given that CT is starting to achieve some scale, don't you think it might be time to get some more coding resources on board to iron out some of these issues?
Jeremy

Hello,

I'm having the same (?) problem with colors, do I understand correctly that it is not possible to change the order of the colors? My example is TECHNOLOGISCHE (tag1) KOMPETENZ -> COMPETENZA (tag1) TECNOLOGICA. TECHNOLOGISCHE is gray and KOMPETENZ is green. In my translation it's the opposite, meaning that, yes, the first term is gray and the second green, but the colors in my word order are wrong. I've tried to place (tag1) in different places, but the only result is to extend the color gray or the color green to *both* terms. There are a lot of these terms in different colors and opposite word order in my text, do I have to fix them all manually in MS Word?

Thanks!
Cheers
Elisabetta

It's indeed impossible to colour the words correctly. I'm quite sure that Igor will come up with a solution. For urgent projects, there are workarounds.

There's already an issue in the representation of the source segments:

The return to font colour Automatic is lost.

In Studio:

This file in CafeTran:

Still not possible to swap tags:

Some macros are possible to solve this, but this should be solved at an app level.

Login to post a comment