Start a new topic

Too many language variants

For many of us it is too complicated to use, for example, 8 variants for the English language.

I prefer to have one single English language, and handle all my English projects under the same folder, using the same translation memory, glossary etc.

Of course, when it comes to make a spelling check, I will use the appropriate spelling checker dictionary.
memoQ got aware of this issue, and I am happy with it.

Hi Mazarin07,

Do you mean the list of languages in the Dashboard (welcome screen)? Once you choose your working language pairs first time, they stay there at the top of the list without any bothering/scrolling down the list. In your case, just choose your preferred English variant, and stick to it for all your projects, TMs and glossaries.

There are many translators who translate in several language pairs. So, we can't stick to one single language pair for all of our projects. 
When starting my work, I have to choose my language pair (and again: I don't need UK or US English, but English only), as well as the TM and glossaries to be used.

As a matter of fact, the best solution is when I can use one single glossary for all my languages (in memoQ I have a 5-language glossary: en-fr-de etc.).

It also would be a good idea to use the same translation memory (TM) for example both for English→French and French→English. (This means two index files, and switching the direction would mean to switch to the appropriate index file, the TM database would remain the same.)

BTW: Could you please correct the title of my post: man to many?

> we can't stick to one single language pair for all of our projects.

I actually meant sticking to one (your preferred language variant) even if you translate a project in another variant for the same language. Unless you are a purist, I don't see an issue if you add, say, 'flavor' term to your personal English (en-gb) glossary.

also would be a good idea to use the same translation memory (TM) for example both for English→French and French→English.

CafeTran reverses the language pair automatically for you, based on the language pair of the project. There is no need to create a separate TM.   

Login to post a comment