Start a new topic

R: Keyboard shortcut for Show/Hide boundary tags

Hi Igor,

A keyboard shortcut to Show/Hide boundary tags would be very useful (would save a lot of time) with complex files for which you have to switch repeatedly between the two options.

For other tasks that you might want to assign to a keyboard shortcut in the future: it's relatively simple to select commands via AppleScript's interface automation. You could then assign such a script to a keyboard shortcut in CafeTran.

I may be wrong, but a script would navigate in the menus, select the option and come back to CT. Why not a new shortcut that will act as "Hide source segment tags" does? (Which means: show/hide boundary tags instantly, without opening the menu itself.)

The problem, with the way it works now, is that when you open a new segment and realize that it's hiding some merged leading tags, you have to nagivate in the menus, deactivate "Hide segment boundary tags", come back to your segment, go to the previous or next segment, and finally come back to your segment to see the merged leading tags. And then you have to do it again to work without showing the boundary tags. Time consuming...

>I may be wrong, but a script would navigate in the menus, select the option and come back to CT. Why not a new shortcut that will act as "Hide source segment tags" does? (Which means: show/hide boundary tags instantly, without opening the menu itself.)

No you're not right. That's why I wrote 'for other tasks'. And, BTW, this automated menu navigation is so quick that you'll only notice a screen flicker.

Alain: Why not a new shortcut that will act as "Hide source segment tags" does?

Am I missing something?

H.

Woorden: Am I missing something?

I meant : a new shortcut.. for the boundary tags, that will act as "Hide source segment tags" does?

>And, BTW, this automated menu navigation is so quick that you'll only notice a screen flicker.

As a matter of fact: when you execute one of CafeTran's built-in keyboard shortcuts, the corresponding menus flicker too. It's exactly the same effect as when automating this via AppleScript.

I was not trying to contradict your request for a new keyboard shortcut–I was merely pointing you to a technique that lets you add your own keyboard shortcuts.

Hans, thank you for your comments. I use KBM but I'm not familiar with AppleScripts (I tried many times, generally without success, too complicated for my brain).
Igor added the Hide source segment tags shortcut a few months ago upon my request (if I remember correctly). The shortcut is applied instantly in the opened segment. No need to quit the segment and to reopen it. I wish CT could offer the same behavior for the boundary tags. It would be a big time saver with certain delicate files.

Alain: I use KBM but I'm not familiar with AppleScript

There's little you can do with KBM without AppleScript, so you'd better learn some, and for CT, that means GUI scripting. You'll need KBM (or Automator, or dozen of other apps) to create a Service.

That said, can you publish (or send me) the KBM Service you mentioned the other day? I can't seem to find an Automator Action for a pop-up screen like this:

So I think KBM used an AppleScript for it. It's actually the first time it looks like KBM is easier for a simple task than Automator, but I may have missed an existing Automator Action.

H.

Moi: ...can you publish (or send me) the KBM Service you mentioned the other day?

Forget it. I don't need it anymore. Didn't really need it in the first place.

H.

Hi Alain,

The shortcut has been added in the latest build (2017041301). Please apply the update 6 again.

>I'm not familiar with AppleScripts

It's really quite simple in this specific case: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000047468

Igor → Thank you for the shortcut! :-)
It applies to the next opened segment, not the presently opened one. Should I conclude that it's impossible, for CT, to apply the shortcut immediatly (like show/hide source tags does)?

CTraining → Thank you for the link, it will be very usefull.

Woorden → Sorrry to have missed your request, I took a loooong break from the computer last night (reading Hyperion, from Dan Simmons).

That was the fastest solution to push into the update 6. After using the new shortcut, simply click at the current segment number in the grid to refresh the segment. It can refresh automatically in the next update. 

1 person likes this
Or simply make a KM macro to execute this shortcut and go one segment forward and one back.

Login to post a comment