Start a new topic

Is the light in the fridge really out?

And are the Matchboard and Statistics features really not consuming any processor cycles when they aren't visible in the tabbed pane?

When they are hidden in an non-active tab, this may save on a graphics processor (GPU) if your computer has one, but not on the main processor (CPU).

Okay, so, doesn't it sound logical that these background processes should be frozen then? Just wondering, because of ventilator blowing this week on my MBP?

BTW: Apple's service for Apple Care in Holland isn't really overwhelming. Missing my iMac Retina now for 2 weeks already.

Crazy world. Absurdistan is everywhere.

doesn't it sound logical that these background processes should be frozen then?

Nope. Then if you made the tab active, you would find out some old (not updated) state such as a resource not being searched or Statistics not being updated. Just close those resources that you are not using.

How can I close the MB?

You can't as it is a core function and not a resource. Though it might be a good idea to disable it to save power in the battery mode.

1 person likes this
Besides of not being updated, it makes sometimes sense to use non-visible tabs (to uncluttert the UI), not only stats, but also certain, secondary term bases to enhance Autocomplete.  

1 person likes this

I second tre's proposal. 

So, for certain resources the searching in the background when the resource is hidden is useful, for others not. The latter may be all display only related resources, like Statistics and the Matchboard etc. they'll become updated as soon as they are made visible and you've navigated to the next segment.
The idea to give tabs one more symbol to deactivate their automatic update would be nice, but I suppose this interferes with Igor's goal of a simple surface.

Instead of a symbol, he could give the tabs a lighter colour when they are sleeping. Activating and deactivating via the context menu. BTW: It would be nice if a double-click on a tab would close it, like it does in Total Commander and many other apps. For me, this is quite intuitive.

Very nice idea, but to be fair, you must admit that you need an add-on for Firefox to do that (and AFAIR also for Chrome).

Another tab layout, similar to that in Wordfast (including dragging them around) would even be cooler.

>So, for certain resources the searching in the background when the resource is hidden is useful, for others not. The latter may be all display only related resources, like Statistics and the Matchboard etc. they'll become updated as soon as they are made visible and you've navigated to the next segment.

All MT engines would qualify as 'only relevant when displayed' too. At least for me: if I need them, I make them visible, if I don't need them, they shouldn't increase my bill.

Login to post a comment