Start a new topic

Okapi on Mac/Linux

Is there any magical hint how to run Okapi on these both platforms?

I installed several Java versions (obviously the wrong ones, but it does not work.

BTW: one more argument to deliver CT with its own Java – you can be sure that it will keep running, even after poking around with other Java versions, you do not have to fear about the most important app.

Got it. The typical staff you find via Google (tweaking Java_Home etc.) did not do the trick.
I simply had to install the Java SDK (that does not interfere with the JVM).  

It would be nice if you could share some info about useful procedures with the Okapi suite. Features that you actually use. Perhaps a few screenshots?

Thanks in advance!

One solution could be offering both install options (with and without JRE), like OmegaT does:

http://www.omegat.org/en/dl_overview.php

Linux with 32-bit JRE

Linux with 64-bit JRE
Cross-platform without JRE

I wouldn't suggest to only have the Java included version though.

Now, from OKAPI's readme.html

Linux Platforms

Requirements

In order to run the Okapi applications on Linux you must have a running installation of Java 1.7 or later. Sun Java, or an OpenJDK VM is recommended.

Installation

To install the Okapi applications on Linux (32- and 64-bit):

Download the ZIP file of the Linux distribution you need (there is one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit).Extract the file on any location. Make sure to preserve the full paths when extracting.

To run, for example, Rainbow: simply double-click on the rainbow.sh file in the main directory.

You can also run the application from the command line (assuming Rainbow is installed in \home\archie\okapi):

archie@archie:~>java -jar okapi/lib/rainbow.jar

Macintosh Platform

Requirements

In order to run Okapi applications on Macintosh you must have Java 1.7 installed.

Installation

To install the Okapi applications on Macintosh (32- and 64-bit):

Download the ZIP file of the Macintosh distribution you need (See above).Extract the ZIP file on any location. For example /Users/admin/Desktop/Okapi.

To run, for example, Rainbow:

The main directory of the distribution contains a Rainbow application bundle (Rainbow.app): simply double-click on it.If you run the application for the first time since you downloaded it, you may be prompted to confirm you want to run it.

You can modify the shell file rainbow.sh that is in the /Contents/MacOS folder of the application bundle to fit your own parameters. In all cases you MUST specify the -XstartOnFirstThread option or the application may not work properly. You can make sure to run the Java VM in a specific mode using the -d32 and -d64 flags.

Tikal is a command-line tool and should be invoked from a Terminal window.

----

Multiple java versions can co-exist, one is generally set as the default but any program cathoughn be set to open with another version.

For example, if Java OpenJDK is default, you can set a program like CafeTran to open with Java JRE with a line like:

export PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-jre/jre/bin/:$PATH

in the .sh file you run to launch it.

In Debian based systems (Ubuntu, etc.) you can list all java versions:

update-java-alternatives --list

and set a java version as default (needs root permissions):

sudo update-java-alternatives --set /path/to/java/version update-java-alternatives --list

In Arch linux systems (as the one I use):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/java

Check available installed versions

archlinux-java status

Set default java version:

archlinux-java set <JAVA_ENV_NAME>

1 person likes this

One solution could be offering both install options (with and without JRE), like OmegaT does:

http://www.omegat.org/en/dl_overview.php

Linux with 32-bit JRE

Linux with 64-bit JRE
Cross-platform without JRE

I wouldn't suggest to only have the Java included version though.

Now, from OKAPI's readme.html

Linux Platforms

Requirements

In order to run the Okapi applications on Linux you must have a running installation of Java 1.7 or later. Sun Java, or an OpenJDK VM is recommended.

Installation

To install the Okapi applications on Linux (32- and 64-bit):

Download the ZIP file of the Linux distribution you need (there is one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit).Extract the file on any location. Make sure to preserve the full paths when extracting.

To run, for example, Rainbow: simply double-click on the rainbow.sh file in the main directory.

You can also run the application from the command line (assuming Rainbow is installed in \home\archie\okapi):

archie@archie:~>java -jar okapi/lib/rainbow.jar

Macintosh Platform

Requirements

In order to run Okapi applications on Macintosh you must have Java 1.7 installed.

Installation

To install the Okapi applications on Macintosh (32- and 64-bit):

Download the ZIP file of the Macintosh distribution you need (See above).Extract the ZIP file on any location. For example /Users/admin/Desktop/Okapi.

To run, for example, Rainbow:

The main directory of the distribution contains a Rainbow application bundle (Rainbow.app): simply double-click on it.If you run the application for the first time since you downloaded it, you may be prompted to confirm you want to run it.

You can modify the shell file rainbow.sh that is in the /Contents/MacOS folder of the application bundle to fit your own parameters. In all cases you MUST specify the -XstartOnFirstThread option or the application may not work properly. You can make sure to run the Java VM in a specific mode using the -d32 and -d64 flags.

Tikal is a command-line tool and should be invoked from a Terminal window.

----

Multiple java versions can co-exist, one is generally set as the default but any program cathoughn be set to open with another version.

For example, if Java OpenJDK is default, you can set a program like CafeTran to open with Java JRE with a line like:

export PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-jre/jre/bin/:$PATH

in the .sh file you run to launch it.

In Debian based systems (Ubuntu, etc.) you can list all java versions:

update-java-alternatives --list

and set a java version as default (needs root permissions):

sudo update-java-alternatives --set /path/to/java/version update-java-alternatives --list

In Arch linux systems (as the one I use):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/java

Check available installed versions

archlinux-java status

Set default java version:

archlinux-java set <JAVA_ENV_NAME>

idim: One solution could be offering both install options (with and without JRE), like OmegaT does

That's all very well, but are you sure commercial software like CafeTran may include Java, and distribute it without paying Oracle?

H.

Hello Woorden,

This I do not know for sure.

However, in a Java Licencing and Distribution FAQs I found online  (http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/java-licensing-faqs-365297.pdf)

they say:

Can I distribute Java with my software? 

Yes, you can provide Java with your software provided you abide by the terms and conditions of Java binary code license.

So one would need to review those terms to see if they are too restrictive...

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license/index.html 

idim: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license/index.html 

Hmmm. I think I'll leave that to His Igorness. Actually, I bet he already studied it.

H.

1 person likes this
The last screenshot again with the full window.

I must confess I am not a big fan of the exceptions option - better some false positives than any right negative.

And I did not show any more features yet – e.g. term extraction,

Thanks, Torsten, will study this in the weekend. 

Login to post a comment