Start a new topic

Non-translatable glossaries aren't ignored in spell-checking

Would it be possible to have the non-translatables in glossaries ignored in spell-checking, just as the traditional non-translatables (set in the Prefs) are?


1 person likes this idea

This would (for me) be required to really use Non-translatable glossaries as an extension to the generic/overall list of non-translatables (as set in the Prefs).


1 person likes this

Non-translatable entries matched from glossaries are not red-underlined.

Hmm, perhaps I'm mistaken. But after a long day of hard work, yesterday, I did QA spelling and thought that those Non-translatable entries matched from glossaries were presented as spelling errors.


I'll check again, with today's manual.


Thanks for getting back on this and have a nice day!

Perhaps I did change the nt_names.txt and didn't reload it? Will, see.

Works as advertised. Great again.

I have the exact same problem. Ran QA check for spelling, added words and fragments to non-translatables, ran QA check for spelling again and they all appear as spelling errors.


PS: OK, I got it. The issue is that the "non-translatables" recognises words AND fragments whereas the spell checker only recognises words. This could lead to a couple of issues, when the whole expression (fragment) does not have a translation, but a word of it could. It would require each word of that expression to be added as a non-translatable, but that word could appear elsewhere on its own and need a spell check. This is especially concerning for other projects, since the "non-translatables" is a global and non-project-specific list. I don't know if what I said is easy to understand...?

Yes, LA, you're making yourself absolutely clear.


Here's how I solved it for my own workflow:

  • I use one non-translatables glossary per client.
  • When adding a new client to my client portfolio, I run the Create client files macro that, amongst other actions, creates a new client non-translatables glossary from a dummy, containing the basic (SI units etc.) non-translatables. To this new client non-translatables glossary I add all new non-translatables relevant to the new client.
  • Via a macro I (1) tag all multi-word non-translatables as regular expressions and (2) add their individual components as separate non-translatables. This works, as long as no 'common' words (und, and, the, der etc.) are added to the non-translatables glossary.
When you're on Mac, I'm happy to share my macros.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about this issue after posting and, on a logical/theoretical level, I don't think it's possible to solve it. The spell-checking is provided by an external software and is word-specific, so it's "unhackable".


Therefore, exactly like you say, the only solution is a work around. I've never worked with macros, but I'm curious. Yes, I'm on a mac. Please share :) 

You'll need Keyboard Maestro to run the macro. You use it in the New Term dialogue box. Enter a non-translatable in the target field and run the macro. The 2nd and following lines of the entry will be selected. Press Backspace if you only want to add the first line of the entry or any arrow key if you want to add all lines. BTW: You can delete any lines that only contain numbers.

Here is a Q&D demo:


image


You'll get this non-translatable entered in your QA glossary:


image


Login to post a comment