Start a new topic

Marking of different word order in Fuzzy Matches

Hello Igor,

For today's update you write:

>Highlighting of the whole phrases present in the fuzzy match in the order different than in the source segment.

I just did a quick test and didn't note any marking. Is there something that I should turn on first?

Thanks in advance!

Hans

just did a quick test and didn't note any marking. Is there something that I should turn on first?

Nothing to turn on. It may not be ideal yet as I am still experimenting with the highlighting feature and trying to avoid at all costs the 'patchwork' display as seen in other tools in another threat.

Igor 

Hi, Igor

Thank you for your effort. Please go on with your experiments as I agree that it is desirable "to avoid at all costs the 'patchwork' display as seen in other tools in another threat." ("Patchwork" or "threat" as I understand it, is something that is accurate but is too visually complicated to be interpreted instantly.)

Example of some improvement:

that is accurate but is too visually complicated to be interpreted instantly

Yes, that's the point. I think it is better to avoid highlighting than to highlight, underline or strike through whatever difference. I still need to find the "sweet spot" in this feature.

1 person likes this
Well, I don't vote for no highlighting, though I agree that sometimes nothing is better than something confusing.

How about this?

It might be a good idea to show some kind of notice like "Different source" next to the match rate, in addition to applying the conventional color highlighting. An example may be "Same phrases in different order."

But I'm not sure if this is "practical" or "practically meaningful" (i.e., that notice is shown only in appropriate cases) because almost every fuzzy match may contain one or more identical phrases, whether short or long.

in another threat.

I meant 'thread", of course.

Login to post a comment