Start a new topic

How to add non-translatables to a non-translatables glossary?

What's the appropriate way to add non-translatables to a non-translatables glossary?

I take it that these are one-columnar?

1 person likes this idea

I'm not sure if this is already so:

• When a glossary has the attribute 'Non-translatables', when adding non-translatables via Ctrl+Alt+P, these are added to that glossary, not to the list of non-translatables, as defined in the Preferences.
  • When adding a term pair, this isn't added to a glossary that has the attribute 'Non-translatables'.

Hello Hans,

You can add the nontranslatable entries to the glossary the same way as the other entries. Since they are non-translatable, you do not specify the target translation. They have only one column in the text file. The CTRL+Alt+P shortcut for the general untranslatable list is unaffected.

Hello Igor,

Thank you for responding to this question!

I've started with a first glossary for non-translatables and I was wondering:

• Is this TAB that CafeTran adds to the non-translatable necessary?

Personally, I'd prefer to keep using the CTRL+Alt+P shortcut (or another one) for the glossary for non-translatables. Please let me explain why:

When I want to quickly add term pairs to my active (foreground) glossary AG, via the keyboard shortcut or the icon, I have to make sure that this active glossary is made active in the dialogue box:

If not, the term pair will be added to the non-translatables glossary B.

And the other way around: After having added a non-translatable to the dedicated glossary, I must remember to open the dialogue box first and to untick B and tick AG.

I'm afraid that this overrides my intellectual capacities.

Could you please make the purple of non-translatables overlay/override the orange of the glossary entries and the green of the memory entries?

I also have a question on this issue.

When I created a new glossary in the ordinary way and set it as non-translatables only, the regular field names were added. I want to use it in both directions.

For this end, should I add the same entries to both sides, as follows (which is working now)? Or is there another form for it: single-column glossary?

How about this approach: When the Preference field for non-translatables is empty (no list is selected), Ctrl+Alt+P adds any selected words to the first glossary for non-translatables?

If you don't like the idea, I'll solve it via a macro.

I also have a question on this issue.

The coming update will simplify the nontranslables glossary format getting rid of the headers to display only one language column. This way, CafeTran will be able to reuse the list for other source languages easily.

I must remember to open the dialogue box first and to untick B and tick AG.

You can keep the non-translatable glossary unchecked all the time and press its numbered button or use the number shortcut for it.

Could you please make the purple of non-translatables overlay/override the orange of the glossary entries and the green of the memory entries?

It is not easy determine the highlighting preference of the same terms found in various resources. 

> display only one language column

Do you mean one language code for all source languages? That is, virtually no language code?

I mean just a simple list of non-translatables without any language codes.

That makes sense.

>You can keep the non-translatable glossary unchecked all the time and press its numbered button or use the number shortcut for it.

That's just great. Another thing learned! I'll untick the dedicated non-translatables glossary (in the image below it's still ticked) and in future I'll click on the appropriate glossary button (here nr. 2) to quickly add to the dedicated non-translatables glossary. Wow.

Just one question: what would be the keyboard shortcut on Mac to add to glossary nr. 2? (On Windows this 2 will probably be underlined, indicating Alt+2?)

Hi Igor,

Perhaps this question has slipped your attention?

>Just one question: what would be the keyboard shortcut on Mac to add to glossary nr. 2? (On Windows this 2 will probably be underlined, indicating Alt+2?)

Cheers,

Hans

Hello Hans,

On Mac, it is CTRL+ALT+ the button number.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment