Start a new topic

In-context dictionary window (English-Japanese dictionary)

Here's good news.

Japanese IME "ATOK" (Windows/Mac) allows you to select a term in the source segment and pop up an English-Japanese dictionary (and any other dictionaries that have been implemented) by clicking a certain key twice (in my case, Control).

It's nice technology, isn't it? We have it for English, German, French and Dutch. For Windows and Mac. Totally integrated in CafeTran. From www.vandale.nl A little expensive, but good.
>> It's nice technology, isn't it?

Yes, absolutely.

And, a version of CafeTran's F2 listing adapted in a similar way (directly accessible from the source segment), if possible, could be an ultimate terminology solution for me.

Masato: Japanese IME "ATOK" (Windows/Mac) allows you to select a term in the source segment and pop up an English-Japanese dictionary

Better than the (free) JP<>EN dictionary that comes with OS X/macOS?

H.

Almost the same. And common drawbacks are that neither can recognize a phrase and that neither can be capable of user dictionaries (if I'm not mistaken).

Masato: and that neither can be capable of user dictionaries (if I'm not mistaken).

You are, I'm afraid. Mistaken, that is. In the second screenshot above, I added Technisch, BI>EN, and EN>BI myself, but I might as well have added my own termbases.

H.

My knowledge about Mac seems to be outdated (I don't have a Mac now)!

Masato: I don't have a Mac now

I do feel sorry for you...

H.

@Masato: common drawbacks are that neither can recognize a phrase and that neither can be capable of user dictionaries

What about Logophile? For only 3500 yens, it could be a perfect solution in your case... 
Logophile is a very good dictionary tool, and I use it routinely. But I don't think it can be activated "in-context" (as shown above), though it can be made clipboard-sensitive.

Do you mean that the setting below is not what you are looking for? Not a real popup window, I agree, but the result is the same, isn't it, if Logophile is placed beforehand at the right place in the background. ?

Yes, it's near perfect. I shouldn't be too greedy!
Login to post a comment