Start a new topic

Q: Mark segment as checked... without changing memory

Hi,

Is there a shortcut for this?

sJ8Dn0GGGxPyEd7sK1KhnjmTjTEuk14dMw.png

As far as I understand, the only available shortcuts are...

oMiPnmwnh1LVgZJlRO_ibY-wyXU8gvRVLQ.png

... which both update the TM and the target (sdl)xliff file each an every time (and I don't want to update them).

Still on the same topic...

Even when Check is selected...

xMMnUFHNl8i6B0mZ4hkmww5ziLma9ev-jw.png

the checked segment is visible when I apply the filter

bbouSPiN0Po94EPlfVoHtV2cHjF6NvRjzg.png

So there are two types of checked segments in CT?

Aaarrgh...
I just realized that the Checked option

PaYgcGliujVTo49cK_Ik0mpfbkPIXaG1JA.png

marka ALL the segments as Checked. Definitely not what I'm trying to do (marking one segment as checked without updating the TM and the xliff file).

Hi Alain,

The Checked box ticked in the toolbar sets the the "checked state" for the currently edited segment. Just uncheck it on whatever next segment you wish to leave unchecked.

Igor: The Checked box ticked in the toolbar sets the the "checked state" for the currently edited segment.

Not here. It sets the checked state for ALL segments.
Please try this:
  1. Set one segment as checked.
  2. Just move to the next (unchecked) segment. It will be set as "checked" automatically.

At least on my Mac...

>Not here. It sets the checked state for ALL segments.

Yes, as long as you keep that box checked navigating from segment to segment. If you uncheck the box in the next 'unchecked' segment, it won't be checked.

> Just move to the next (unchecked) segment. It will be set as "checked" automatically.

And what happens if you uncheck the box?

Thanks Igor, got it.
I was confused and didn't see it as a "Checking mode" option. It's perfect for what I was trying to achieve.

Igor: And what happens if you uncheck the box?

It's OK. It behaves logically as a "Checking mode" option that you can activate and deactivate while revising the translation. I wish I had understood that before!

I think the confusion with this option arises from the fact there is only binary choice here and it is "too simple". If there were more choices such as pending revision, reviewed, accepted but not confirmed, not accepted, confirmed but awaiting approval, approved, signed-off etc, the translator would be kept more alert. :)

In my case the "problem" was just that CT kept modifying the TM even when I was simply setting a segment as checked, and since my TMs are on iCloud it was generating traffic with unnecessary updatings (which can be a problem with a huge TM). I expected CT to do not touch (update) the TM when a segment is simply set as checked, if the said segment is already present in the TM. (I know that I can adjust the auto-save TM frequency in the Workflow preferences, but still, this is not the point.) 
Login to post a comment