Start a new topic

REQ: Lack of protection of source text against inadvertent editting

I believe the source segment text should be protected against editting if option "edit source segments" is off (just like in other CAT tools). I'm aware that with mentioned option off no alterations will come into grid, still it is strange the text in the source pane may be accidentaly distorted.

Regards

Wojciech

3 people like this idea

I agree with Wojchiech. Inadvertant editing is inevitable, given that CT doesn't clearly show where the focus is, and, whilst for experienced users, this is not such a problem (we have after much trial and error learnt that these changes are not preserved), it may cause new users (it did me) to waste time reverting their changes by hand (as CTRL+Z doesn't work in this situation), especially if they are not aware of the 'edit source segments' setting.

Not allowing changes where edit source segments is off is clearly the 'correct' behaviour.

Jeremy

Jeremy: ...we have after much trial and error learnt that these changes are not preserved

True, but do they end up in your TM(s)? I never tried.

H.

True, but do they end up in your TM(s)? I never tried.
I just did a test - it simply didn't save the segment in the TM (with or without source edits). Odd behaviour - it should save it without the edits.

Jeremy: it simply didn't save the segment in the TM

That's bad, very bad. That Igor should do something about it immediately. A good thing I "liked" that Wojciech.

I never noticed, and I never knew those changes aren't preserved (though I think I may call me an experienced user, since 2010), because I found out that if you go back to the previous segment, and then back again, I got the original SL segment back (no need to re-typ anything), while any changes I made to the TL are still there. Arguably not very clever, but it works, and the segment will be added to my TM(s) as well.

H.

> still it is strange the text in the source pane may be accidentaly distorted.

The only reason for leaving the source pane editable is still to be able to make source segment corrections before adding the segment (or its fragment/terms) to the memory or glossary without changing the contents of the source segments in the project.

>  it simply didn't save the segment in the TM (with or without source edits)

You may have set your TM read-only or pressed the navigation arrow buttons instead of the Next segment button?. The changes in the source segment should be present in the translation memory. 

Maybe an option: protect source segment text?

Regards

Wojciech

Or just make it more obvious where the focus is (a coloured border around the source or target segment box)??

Igor: > still it is strange the text in the source pane may be accidentaly distorted.

The only reason for leaving the source pane editable is still to be able to make source segment corrections before adding the segment (or its fragment/terms) to the memory or glossary without changing the contents of the source segments in the project.

Why not just edit the TM? Surely that's less trouble than the current situation?

Igor: >  it simply didn't save the segment in the TM (with or without source edits)

You may have set your TM read-only or pressed the navigation arrow buttons instead of the Next segment button?. The changes in the source segment should be present in the translation memory. 

No I haven't done either of those things and it behaves as I described. I tested it by editing existing (already translated) segments which were also already present in the TM. In this case the TM is not updated. (The behaviour may be different for virgin segments.) This is not the correct behaviour.

Jeremy

Login to post a comment