Start a new topic

segment auto-propagation

The feature is very productive for me, with its feature of live links, i.e. when I change one of the propagated segments the change is also propagated.

But...

even the source segments (in my case - English) are identical, sometimes the target ones (Polish) are not - it depends on the context of the sounding segments.

So

the possibility of selective un-linking of a specific segment could be very useful.

thank you

Jan

1 person likes this idea

>the possibility of selective un-linking of a specific segment could be very useful.

So true.

Jan: ...the possibility of selective un-linking of a specific segment could be very useful

I think you can prevent propagating a specific sentence by simply not "saving" it, in other words, by going to next sentence with

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-31%20at%2011.57.48.png

rather than with 

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-31%20at%2011.59.03.png

Haven't tested it, though.

H.

Thank you for your comment -
it seems to me that it works for the first click,
but when I have clicked "Next segment" there is no way to change this choice later.
Jan

Also, these segments that you don't want to propagate, will be imported into your TM, when you run Import project segments > Memory.

Jan: ... it seems to me that it works for the first click

Bad luck. You could try to filter on Repeated Segments first, and "check" them. Or disable Auto-Propagation to Other Segments, but keep AP to Current Segment enabled. Again, not tested.

H.

If you disable Auto-Propagation to Other Segments, I think it applies only to segments  you validate from that moment on.

This means you can work with the feature enabled, and disable it when you find instances where you want no propagation of the change you make into other segments. Then, enable it once more and continue working. Not tesdted lately though.

FYI, I prefer to keep this disabled at all times in most of my projects, and only propagate changes to "Current segment", to avoid unwanted propagations. Then, the matchboard gives me the percentage and it can be auto-inserted from the TM (depending on settings), still giving a chance to review as I go through each segment.

the possibility of selective un-linking of a specific segment could be very useful.

There is a way to block single segments from auto-propagating. Provide an alternative translation for this segment. Then CafeTran 'sees' other possible translations of this segment and blocks it.

>There is a way to block single segments from auto-propagating. Provide an alternative translation for this segment.

That's a very nice tip. Thank you, Igor! And, come to think of it, it's intuitive too: in most (if not all of the) cases where I want to prevent the AP of a certain translation, this is because I have to use/keep an alternative translation. This could be entered/saved as an alternative translation.

Chapter title:

Maschine reinigen

Cleaning the machine

Maintenance step:

- Maschine reinigen

- Clean the machine

Login to post a comment