Start a new topic

MyMemory

Hello,

I'm a new user and I have a question about MyMemoryMT limitation.

I think I did everything to increase the limitation to 10000 words, I'm not sure... But is there a way to completely remove this limitation?

I have a trial version but I didn't see anywhere that a license will remove this limitation.

Thank you for your help.

Romain: I think I did everything to increase the limitation to 10000 words, I'm not sure...

It should look like (with a valid email address):

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2008.14.59.png

But is there a way to completely remove this limitation?

There is, but it's going to cost you. Besides, 10k words a day is a lot. For projects with say a lot of numbers (which may count as words) like an annual report, you can stop MyMemory temporarily:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-25%20at%2008.16.28.png

I have a trial version but I didn't see anywhere that a license will remove this limitation.

I don't think so either.

H.

By the way, the "de" in the parameter doesn't stand for Deutsch/German, as I thought. Silly me. You should always use "de=", no matter what source language.

H.

Hello, 

Thank you for your answer. 

this is what I have:

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202016-10-24%20%C3%A0%2021.53.03.png

... so I guess I did something wrong...

... so I guess I did something wrong...

It should be your email address, it should be valid, and there shouldn't be a period at the end.

H.

I don't understand what I did then :-\

Thank you, I'm gonna try again...

Do you know if there is a special procedure ?

Do you know if there is a special procedure ?

Not that I'm aware of. Just don't forget to click OK in the Preferences/Options.

H.

Yep done! 

Can we check somewhere how many words we used? 

Like xx words used / xx words left...

Can we check somewhere how many words we used? 

Not really, I think. Though for small jobs, the Project Statistic may be helpful. I wouldn't worry too much, if you exceed the 10,000 words a day, you deserve a rest. And a beer. Or two.

It used to be easier, but MyMemory changed the rules. When it was introduced in CT, in 2012, it was based on 100 requests a day without email address, 1000 with. Since a request corresponds with a segment,  it was easy to keep track of. Let's not complain, though, 10,000 words is more generous than 1,000 segments, in most cases.

H.

Not what you asked, but why don’t you sign up to Microsoft Translator, which is free for up to two million characters per month (if I remember correctly). Most of the time, MyMemory is Microsoft Translator or Google Translate (it keeps alternating between the two) anyway.

Our CATGuru: Not what you asked, but why don’t you sign up to Microsoft Translator

Because it's a pain in the arse to set up, and when you managed to set it up, the Redmondians change the procedure, so you'll have to start the set-up procedure again? And because the results most likely will show up in MyMemory anyway?

H.

FWIW, I signed up about five years ago and I’m still using the same credentials. Granted, it’s a bit complicated (but not impossible), but you only need to do it once. At least it has been the case for me.

CATGuru: At least it has been the case for me.

Not for me. And I also first subscribed to it 5 years ago.

effort%203.png

But then again, the Redmondians may not like Macs like me.

H.

So.... I don't understand anything anymore..... I changed everything , put my email address and everything and now I have a message in Caftan MyMemory section :

Query Length Limit exceed. Max Allowed Query : 500 chars

I never had that message before :(

It just means that your source segment is too long, over 500 characters. Either split the segment (but be careful), or search smaller parts manually by selecting them, and then click the relevant search button.

H.

Login to post a comment