Start a new topic

How to align two MS glossaries

There are several ways to align the attached Microsoft glossaries in such a way that you get a table (or TMX) with four columns (entries):

German term

Dutch term

English term

(definition)

How would you proceed?

Does CafeTran have the tools to achieve the task?

Any preparation in MS Excel needed?

zip
(8.84 MB)

>Well Hans, why don't you check it out yourself?

And so I did ...

blob1476377594325.png

blob1476377601774.png

blob1476377607307.png

blob1476377616778.png

blob1476377623960.png

I want to play around a little more with TMX files. Is my assumption correct that the only way to have the original, US English source displayed in a German > Dutch project, would be via an extra field?

Will a third language be displayed in the tabbed pane?

Well Hans, why don't you check it out yourself?

Yep, that was it. What a joke :).

blob1476344595243.png

Or would that be because I've not defined the correct SL and TL? :(

Just to be sure, I rechecked the import of the attached TBX file. It indeed wasn't imported. Okay, I'll move on now ...

blob1476344395691.png

blob1476344416523.png

zip

Yes, there is indeed a TBX entry in the Memory menu. I've noticed that. But the MS TBX files weren't imported into a new TM that I created.

Anyway. I decided (for now) to create a ... glossary. I've saved STEP 8 of the procedure, so I can always create a TMX too.

Here's how it looks:

blob1476343700555.png

And you can follow the steps I took by scrolling through the screenshots in the archive here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/509643/creating_a_trilingual_microsoft_glossary.zip

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-13%20at%2013.22.05.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-13%20at%2013.21.24.png

H.

>the DE-NL glossary. Import the TBX file in a TMX file, and Bob is your aunt

There is no such a file. The aim of my exercise is to create one. Besides that, CafeTran doesn't recognise the TBX flavour.

Aligning two files of different sizes the usual way is sheer impossible, though I imagine a "pretranslate" first may work. Assuming you still only translate from German into Dutch, I suggest the following, in the usual simple but effective Hans van den Broek way:

The file you need for your CT workflow is

the DE-NL glossary. Import the TBX file in a TMX file, and Bob is your aunt

The file I assume you need for reference only (as it is more complete) is

the EN-DE glossary. Open the Excel file, cut the crap, save as tab del text, import it into the SQLite database. As I mentioned in a post I happily deleted a few days ago, you can open and search a table even if it's the "wrong" language combination. Since it's for reference, you won't need it often, but when you need it, the search - either in EN or in DE - will be blistering fast.

H.

Best make the English source field a properly too, right? To make it visible in a German > Dutch project Or should I go for a tab del glossary? Wth four columns German dutch English definition
I think that a TMX for terms is quite simple to create. Should I create a property for the definition field, in the header?
Login to post a comment