Start a new topic

Request: Don't discard changes on joining segment

Self-explanatory really - I'm editing a segment, when I realise I need to join it to the next segment. I click 'Join segments' - all my edits are gone. This is clearly not the desired behaviour.

Also, is it just me or are the split/join segments icons anything but intuitive? (I'm always selecting the wrong one!)

And whilst I'm about it, could CT automatically discard the leading space in the source (and target where appropriate) in the second segment when you split segments.

Jeremy

>Self-explanatory really - I'm editing a segment, when I realise I need to join it to the next segment. I click 'Join segments' - all my edits are gone. This is clearly not the desired behaviour.

We once discussed this in the Google group and I thought it at one time had been (temporarily) okay. Broken again?

>Also, is it just me or are the split/join segments icons anything but intuitive? (I'm always selecting the wrong one!)

In my opinion they are correct (Join: bring 2 to 1, Split: divide 1 in 2). Perhaps they could be mirrored to match the direction of text flow in a document:

Split versus Join

Or rotated (with the arrows to the right-hand side).

>And whilst I'm about it, could CT automatically discard the leading space in the source (and target where appropriate) in the second segment when you split segments.

I currently have no option on that one, yet.

Re. icons, I think Hans suggestion of turning them on their side (rotate 90° clockwise) is definitely a step in the right direction.

And I also think that:

• Join segments should be renamed to Merge segments (like in some other tools)
  • Join should be reserved for resources/tabs

For me, as a new user, the idea ic nice (I do not know the discussion on Google).

And the icons (for my intuition) should be like that:

Nice idea to rotate the icons, but a different color for these 2 icons (and a different shape one from another, as they only are 2 mm of size) would be nice, too.

Maybe red or orange for split, green for join?

1 person likes this

And there are – with the "Transfer to target" command – three green arrows side by side. 

Not an ideal solution, though I never use this icon (only with the keyboard). And until we are waiting for the possibility to customize our toolbars, maybe it would make sense to make a bit more use of the toolbar height (disclaimer: this might break the layout on Retina screens and on screens with smaller resolution).

Login to post a comment