Start a new topic

Your personal Top 3 for development?

Lately, CafeTran's development has been driven by external demands (interaction with Proz and TM-Town) mostly.

Of course impressive development has taken place for the demands of freelancers (interface for Slate Desktop, etc.).

It would be interesting to hear from you which features you'd like to have added to CafeTran. Please feel free to air your personal Top 3 for CafeTran's development.

Dear Hans, go get a lolly and please hush.

I'll answer.

1.  In CT, tags are placeholders. Where do regular expressions come in, and how?
  2. Glossary matches are always exact matches, unless you treat them as a TM for Segments.
  3. Why would you need better support for regexes if you don't understand them? There cannot possibly be glitches, unless user-induced. Regular expressions are mathematics. Not suitable for language people who couldn't do bèta...

H.

Okay, here's my Top 3 for CafeTran:

1. RegEx tagger
  2. Better cooperation of fuzzy glossary matching and exact glossary matching
  3. Better support for regular expressions (glitches need to be repaired)

Igor: The TM can be set to add both for Segments and Fragments

There seems to be a small problem: both TMs will have the same settings for "Matching type". I cannot select "Fuzzy without word separator" for the Japanese TM (segments TM) and only "Fuzzy" for the English TM (fragments TM). The last choice I make is always applied to both TMs.

This behavior (unfixed or unstable TM settings for a given TM)  has always puzzled me since I started using CT. There must be some good reason, though... ?

Side note: Maybe a possible „Lock segments“ feature could help here (depending on some aspects, of course) to keep both language pairs separated. 

Alain: Too bad, it was close to another nice solution.

Nope. The resulting TMX file of Recall Segments should be Read-Only. Please do not ask me to elaborate.

...but it gave me empty source target fields for manual input

That's only normal. Same thing with them bloody tab dels. But hitting ⌘-A twice (for SL and TL) doesn't hurt much, does it? Of course, you could ask the remaining bright Young One to automate it for you...

H.

I also tested Total Recall - Add new entry, but it gave me empty source target fields for manual input. I expected the source and segment content to be pasted automatically... Too bad, it was close to another nice solution.

IK: Then, click the "Add fragment to Memory" icon in the target segment toolbar and select your TM the same way you select Glossaries. 

And if Alain is one of the many misguided CT users, he won't use TMs for Fragments at all, so he can even skip select your TM.

H.

Alain: Brilliant.

I know.

H.

Hi Alain,

The TM can be set to add both for Segments and Fragments (select 'Fragments' in your screenshot). Then, click the "Add fragment to Memory" icon in the target segment toolbar and select your TM the same way you select Glossaries. 

woorden: What if you set the TM you occasionally want to use for segments to TM for Fragments? I don't think CT can notice the difference...

Brilliant. Thanks! 

What if you set the TM you occasionally want to use for segments to TM for Fragments? I don't think CT can notice the difference...

H.

amos: You can do this - just right click in the memory pane and check or uncheck 'Read-only'. Doesn't this meet this need?

No,  for two reasons.
  1. I would have to switch both TMs' settings (one on read-only mode, the other on writing mode) each and every time I have to switch between language combinations.
  2. Once I set a TM as read-only, the Options are greyed out in the menu, as below, so I cannot reactivate the writing mode from the menu.

That's why something similar to the Glossary option would be fine.

Or something similar...
@M. Yes, I too would like to be able to merge segments across paragraph boundaries, but with the proviso that it would have to be backwards compatible with previous versions of Studio or would allow you to select the Studio version on opening and not allow this for versions where it is not supported.
@alain: re. your point 1.: You can do this - just right click in the memory pane and check or uncheck 'Read-only'.
Doesn't this meet this need?

Login to post a comment