Start a new topic

Your personal Top 3 for development?

Lately, CafeTran's development has been driven by external demands (interaction with Proz and TM-Town) mostly.

Of course impressive development has taken place for the demands of freelancers (interface for Slate Desktop, etc.).

It would be interesting to hear from you which features you'd like to have added to CafeTran. Please feel free to air your personal Top 3 for CafeTran's development.

Documentation (including inline documentation, such as tooltips and inline help) and/or a genuine community wiki.

2 people like this

>> 1. Ability to split/merge segments.

According to an email announcement from SDL, Studio 2017 can merge segments across paragraphs (too late!)

P.S.

Is there any CafeTran user except me who's complaining about CafeTran lacking this feature?

Or shall we be patient enough to wait for Studio to disappear from the market or for CafeTran to dominate this world and make others obey it?

1 person likes this

Mine. All related to the handling of Studio sdlxliff files.

1. Ability to split/merge segments.

2. Ability to export CT notes as Studio comments.

3. Ability to import Multiterm as a "TMX."

And I want to add a fourth one: more extensive and detailed documentation.

1 person likes this

Just one point on the

List of forgotten requests

1. Reimport mode for bilingual files without creating alternative translations (call it „go on, I know what I do“ mode). 

1 person likes this
Igor: The TM can be set to add both for Segments and Fragments

There seems to be a small problem: both TMs will have the same settings for "Matching type". I cannot select "Fuzzy without word separator" for the Japanese TM (segments TM) and only "Fuzzy" for the English TM (fragments TM). The last choice I make is always applied to both TMs.

This behavior (unfixed or unstable TM settings for a given TM)  has always puzzled me since I started using CT. There must be some good reason, though... ?

>>  1. Bring back the old auto-assembling-pane that automatically pops-up.

Yes. As far as I can recall, the removal of this feature is the first occasion for me to question the course of development of this tool: please don't remove existing features, just add new ones as options.

@M:

2. Ability to export CT notes as Studio comments.

3. Ability to import Multiterm as a "TMX."

To wich I would add:

1. Possibility to select a target TM to save a translated segment (exactly as we can do with glossaries when we add new terms).

In my case, this would be great for certain jobs where the Japanese source document also contains English text (for example, quotes from Wikipedia, a website, a research paper and so on).

Oh, and better tag handling, e.g.
1. Tags shouldn't move during autopropagation
2. Stop incorporating spaces into tags

Also I've come across the situation where I've italicised text and then found the <i> tags reproduced as such in the exported document. Suspect it may be a file type issue (can't remember what the file type was - maybe IDML). If so, CT should not allow insertion of formatting in unsupported file types (or should work out how to support these file types).

@alain: re. your point 1.: You can do this - just right click in the memory pane and check or uncheck 'Read-only'.
Doesn't this meet this need?

@M. Yes, I too would like to be able to merge segments across paragraph boundaries, but with the proviso that it would have to be backwards compatible with previous versions of Studio or would allow you to select the Studio version on opening and not allow this for versions where it is not supported.
amos: You can do this - just right click in the memory pane and check or uncheck 'Read-only'. Doesn't this meet this need?

No,  for two reasons.
  1. I would have to switch both TMs' settings (one on read-only mode, the other on writing mode) each and every time I have to switch between language combinations.
  2. Once I set a TM as read-only, the Options are greyed out in the menu, as below, so I cannot reactivate the writing mode from the menu.

That's why something similar to the Glossary option would be fine.

Or something similar...

What if you set the TM you occasionally want to use for segments to TM for Fragments? I don't think CT can notice the difference...

H.

woorden: What if you set the TM you occasionally want to use for segments to TM for Fragments? I don't think CT can notice the difference...

Brilliant. Thanks! 

Hi Alain,

The TM can be set to add both for Segments and Fragments (select 'Fragments' in your screenshot). Then, click the "Add fragment to Memory" icon in the target segment toolbar and select your TM the same way you select Glossaries. 

Login to post a comment