Start a new topic

Keyboard Maestro: simple CT Companion for MsWord

Hi,

I just started usiing Keyboard Maestro. Quite impressed.

My first task was to create a "CT Companion" for MsWord.

On a large screen, I display the Word source file on half of the screen, and CT on the other half.

Each time I open a segment in CT (with Go to next or previous segment), the macro copies the source text and highlights it in MsWord, so I can see the context while translating.

➡️ You must activate "Copy source segment to clipboard" in CT...

Here is the KBM workflow. The first command (Open next segment) must be adapted to your own keyboard shorcut in CT):

(You can make a similar workflow for Go to previous segment.)

Simple, but quite useful workflow if you don't use CT's source preview function...

Alain: On a large screen, I display the Word source file on half of the screen, and CT on the other half.

I created something similar, but for Preview, the advantage being that Preview can show just about all file formats, and isn't limited to a single format, like Word.

H.

1 person likes this
Excellent, as usual !
Would you mind sharing your workflow here, in attachment, so I can adapt it to my environment?

Alain: Would you mind sharing your workflow here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5g3vot60kqp94wx/AAAbcs5WIOcSgTwzWUsp6iVra?dl=0

I hope this still works, it's an April 2014 Automator applet (dee the discussion on the old forum on the subject).

Limitations:

• You'll have to open the document (any format Preview can handle) in Preview first
  • Like CT's solution (and yours, I suppose), it doesn't really sync, it searches
  • That's why I didn't bind it to Go Next/Previous Segments
I admit I rarely use it. What I can see on the "source doc" side of my screen will usually keep me busy translating for half an hour or so. But in other cases, it can be very useful.

H.

Thank you Woorden, I will play with it when I finish the job I'm working on now.

In the meantime I tried my workflow with Preview instead of MsWord. It worked, but the searched string was not highlighted. Strange, since it's highlighted when I search "manually".

Don't know what happened in more than 2 years, but you may want to have a look here, and here (the original discussion).

H.

And another solution:

Find content of SL in Word document

Nice one :-)
It seems to move faster than mine. I will take some hits from it to improve my workflow.

By the way, what is SL?

Alain: Simple, but quite useful workflow if you don't use CT's source preview function...

True, but CT's preview became more attractive since whenever you could "float" and resize resources in the tabbed pane. Whereas it was mostly useful for users with a MacBook, now you can use it the same way as you'd use a separate view on an iMac, or with several monitors. No such things in April 2014, though.

H

SL = Source Language

I have one for PDF too, that I use more often, since most of my jobs are created with FrameMaker, ID, Interleaf etc.

Login to post a comment