Start a new topic

Revamped alignment feature

I'd suggest to handle the alignment in the place where all projects (TMX editor, XLIFF editor) are handled: in the project segments pane (top left). Advantages:

• The user expects it here (intuitiveness)
  • Spell checking of source and target language are possible
  • ProjectTerms and ProjectTMX can be loaded at project creation
  • On the fly adding of terms via selecting in source and target and saving to ProjectTerms
  • Creating additional TUs via selecting and saving to ProjectTMX:

Some examples of the latter:

• Making a selection in the source and target to save a TU that contains a part of the whole segment
  • The opposite: spanning 2 or 3 segments and save them as one TU to ProjectTMX
I think these 'virtual' TUs are very handy. Should I provide examples or leave it to your imagination?

1 person likes this idea

And of course the usage of the Find and Replace dialogue box (e.g. to correct pelssing erros).

Should be: Start alignment/aligning

Perhaps the horizontal layout is better for this and then the buttons for the source could be placed in the Source segment pane.

Hi,

Sorry to make this somewhat out-of-place posting.

I have been wondering, and once said elsewhere, why nobody's ever thought of using online MT services to improve the accuracy of segment alignment.

Like this: the MT translation of the source document is compared with the target document on a word-by-word basis (hopefully taking the opened glossary/fragments TM terms into consideration). The segments are aligned tentatively on the basis of regular segmentation rules, and the tentative alignments are "re-aligned" on the basis of "statistical similarity" derived from this comparison.

Double-checking may be more effective: comparing the MT translation of the target document with the source, and the rest is the same.

I don't think this is a mad man's fantasy.

First of all, you're not mad. Secondly: are you happy with the results of MT that CafeTran presents in the tabbed pane? Because this quality will be relevant to the alignment too. Thirdly: the creator of LFaligner replied to a posting I made suggesting the use of a glossary to improve the alignment result. If memory serves , the results aren't impressive

I'm not expecting good results on the segment level from MT services at all. I'd say that's bullxxxt. This suggestion is about word-level comparison.

But, I admit even on the word level, MT results may be xxxxxxx.

After all, it's the user who finally evaluates the correctness of the alignments. This MT-based realignment, if possible, would still be a tentative one, which, however, could be better if not impressive.

>> Perhaps the horizontal layout is better for this

Absolutely, yes.

MT services can be used at least for finding "anchors," which are often very short segments like section numbers and headings.

Once the anchors are fixed, the rest of the alignment work should be much easier as the user can focus attention on each block between the anchors.

Plus all those features you mentioned above.

Most - if not all - of the features mentioned above can be achieved by using the Edit TM workflow I mentioned here yesterday.

Furthermore, I don't think aligning is essential for the CT translation workflow. It's related to it at best, and there are myriads of other tools available that can handle the nasty job of aligning.

H.

>MT services can be used at least for finding "anchors," 

The glossaries can be used for that too, you surely know.

Additional features: 

• Progressive segmenting based on addition of user-defined abbrev.
  • ProjectTerms is used for creating anchors.

>> ProjectTerms is used for creating anchors.

And, matched term highlighting on both sides (in the same color); user-defined different colors for different sources.

Example:

Red for matches from ProjectTerms

Green or no color for matches from lower-priority glossaries or fragments TMs

Not to mention, a different color for anchors (highly probable segment pairs). And the ability to reset auto-created anchors and manually create new ones.

Login to post a comment