Start a new topic

Problem with alignment

Hello experts,

I'm trying to align a document with "automatic" segmentation in order to work faster. It looks good, but there are some misalignments. I thought the "join source" and "join target" buttons would work only for "source" OR "target" segment, but if I try to join two source segments, the target segments get joined too and I can't solve the misalignment issue. Why don't the 2 buttons work independently? It is impossible to correctly the alignment this why...

Thanks for your help, cheers,

Elisabetta

They should indeed work independently. Can you create a ticket?

OK, I did, thanks
Elisabetta

I have the same problem. It's the first time I've tried to do an alignment. It worked initially, but then stopped. To be honest almost nothing works as it should - some segments won't join, some segments won't split, sometimes the source text gets transferred to the target pane, I can't edit the source segment after selecting "Edit source segment", etc. etc.

I'm also bemused as to why there is no split segments button (though the keyboard shortcut does work).

Hi Elisabetta,

The Automatic segmentation in the Alignment workflow should be used for the documents where each next source segment corresponds to each next target segment. Then, CafeTran can create an aligned bilingual project with one click but you don't have much choice to correct the alignments afterwards. However, if you choose the progressive segmentation (the default option), you have the whole range of options (see the alignment toolbar that appears) to control the alignment process. You can use the Alignment actions for either source and target segment in this Alignment toolbar or use the usual actions (next, join and split segment) for both source and target segment at the same time. The Progressive segmentation is recommended in your case.

BTW, I am going to look into some alternative alignment implementations in the future.

Igor    

>BTW, I am going to look into some alternative alignment implementations in the future.

Like a connector to or even integration*) of LFaligner?

*) Use of CafeTran's own abbrev. list etc.

Hello,
yes, but in this case unfortunately not useful, as LFAligner doesn't support Powerpoint :-)
Igor explained to me yesterday regarding alignment that the buttons only work with progressive segmentation, not with the automatic one. This is a bit confusing, as the buttons are there, but cannot be used to join etc.

>yes, but in this case unfortunately not useful, as LFAligner doesn't support Powerpoint :-)

CafeTran could handle the conversion part

>Igor explained to me yesterday regarding alignment that the buttons only work with progressive segmentation, not with the automatic one. This is a bit confusing, as the buttons are there, but cannot be used to join etc.

From a user's point of view (intuitiveness) this probably is true.

[absolutely not sure of the following]

I think it's perfectly acceptable that you can't use join/split in the automatic segmentation workflow. It's automatic, after all. But if you save the resulting (miss)aligned file in the hugely popular TMX format, and open it again in the Edit TM mode, you should be able to join/split, won't you?

H.

Hello,

it seems I'm having a similar problem, namely the "join target segments" does not work (the "add to memory and next target segment" and "next target segment" do not work either for that matter), thus the alignment feature does not work at all, since I do not have an option to join target or source segments independently of each other, which makes the workflow useless at the first misalignment. Should I create a ticket?

The buttons for source segments seem to work just fine, but there are translator's notes and stuff like that that I need to put together with individual target segments and that is simply not possible.

What CafeTran version are you using? You can check it in the Help > About > Product version. Make sure you choose "Progressive segmentation" when you create an alignment project. The independent source and target joining works as you go along and segment both texts. This action of joining source and target independently cannot be performed after the segments have been created. The automatic alignment option should be chosen on some rare texts where source text segments correspond exactly to target text segments. 

I'm using the newest version (2017201201). I do use the "progressive segmentation" option to have control over the texts. And still, the buttons seem to not work.

It is an older version. Please complete your unfinished projects and then update the program as described here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/discussions/topics/6000051420

Okay, I will, thank you.

Same issue here with 2017111401. Using progressive mode, trying to merge the source using the button near the middle also merges the target. Even if I try to copy-paste things around to match or split instead of merge, the pagers don't adapt and subsequent strings just keep getting more and more misaligned. It would be faster and probably easier to build a TMX by hand.

Login to post a comment