Start a new topic

Big Question: Why not format-less internal resources?

Hi,

I still don't understand the "essential (never-to-be-overcome)" differences between a segment/fragment TM and a tab-del glossary.

Why can't they be integrated into one single format (possibly CT's original format)? Displayed in the same way, and leveraged in the same way for both segment-level and fragment-level matching?

I'm not expecting comments mentioning any of the following as an essential difference. And I don't want to be recommended to use either of the formats. That's not the point here.

1. Compatibility (especially TMX)

It should be sufficient to convert a resource into TMX when necessary.

2. Ease of maintenance (either or both)

3. Alternative entries (text glossary)

4. Ease of insertion into target segment (TMX): One-click insertion.

5. Prefix matching (only TMX)

6. Regex (text glossary)

7. Structure

Some may say TMX is better structured, but "structuredness" lies not in the resource itself (so long as it can be imported), but in the way the system leverages it.

Can all those differences never been overcome forever?

This kind of "one-stop solution" should be very much welcome by all users.

Good night

Masato: possibly CT's original format

CT doesn't have an original format, all CT file formats are open standard: XLF, TMX, TXT, and DB.

Displayed in the same way, and leveraged in the same way for both segment-level and fragment-level matching?

TMX memories can be used that way. I use the ProjectTM for segments, fragments, and words.

H.

Maybe, I was born centuries earlier.

Hi M,

You can load CafeTran's tab-delimited file (.txt extension) via the Memory > Open memory... menu as well and enjoy all the features of this interface which accepts both TMX and tab-del formats. Actually, the Memory interface supports all the feautres mentioned by you except regular expressions.

Igor 

IK: You can load CafeTran's tab-delimited file (.txt extension) via the Memory > Open memory

But that's not the idea. For unknown, incomprehensible, and/or downright foolish reasons, they want to get rid of TMX files for Fragments/Terms/Words, in favour of tab dels. What you posted above, I've been saying for years. Sick and tired of it.

H.

Please try to present your view without being offensive. Otherwise, I would need to moderate.

Thanks!

igor

IK: Please try to present your view without being offensive. Otherwise, I would need to moderate.

Please go ahead, and moderate (though I warn you, moderating isn't coding...).

I've been telling what you mentioned above for ages, and it doesn't help. And no, I'm not politically correct, I never was, and I'll never will be. I used to be tolerant, but I gave up on that as well. No wonder.

H.

Login to post a comment