Start a new topic

Hide/Display tags

Hi,

I don't know if it's already possible, but it would be great to have an option to hide/display tags in the source segment. Even after cleaning a Japanese source file in MsWord, I still have dozens of useless tags in the source segment. It disturbs the eyes... and the brain.

I know that I can use the OCR option when I import a docx file, but then I also lose precious formatting that I have to put back manually in the final document.

My temporory solution is to specify the same color code for both tags and background... Not bad, but a keyboard shorcut to swith (hide/display) tags would be better.

Possible?

Use CodeZapper or TransTools's Document Cleaner to clean the doc prior to importing it into CT. Michael
Hi Michael,

I had TransTools on Windows, but I'm now back on Mac (personal choice, without pub) and cannot use Transtools or CodeZapper.

I feel that a simple shortcut to hide/unhide the tags would not be difficult to implement. ?

For the moment I will keep my temporary solution (playing with tags and background colors).

Alain: Even after cleaning a Japanese source file in MsWord

The Japanese part of the sentence might present a problem, at least for me. I don't know anything about Japanese.

My temporory solution is to specify the same color code for both tags and background

I tried that too, but that doesn't work if there are "real" tags in the text, and there are because you said, I also lose precious formatting that I have to put back manually in the final document

I suggest the craziest of things, and save the docx as.... a PDF, and use CasualTextractor (free) to see what happens when extracting the text, after adjusting the settings to your Japanese file.

I tried to create an app that would solve the problem, similar to the tools Count Wdowiak Formerly Known As Michael mentioned, but it isn't easy. The WHYs are very important to arrive at the HOWTOs. Some false tags seem to be the result of TWAIN conversion leading to ASCII failures. I could solve those. But there are still false tags I couldn't get rid of. I gave up, it took too much time for something I don't/didn't need, not in at least five years. But it still hurts.

H.

Hmm, I am not sure I completely understand you. If, as you say, you currently make the tags the same colour as the background so you can no longer see them, couldn't this potentially have negative effects on your segment/document? After all, what if the tags mean sth important. 

However, if you just have a ton of tags in your segment that are not actually needed for anything, instead of hiding them all, how about just using the shortcut to delete all tags, and using the setting to automatically place them at the end of your segment?

Another idea would be to make friends with a Windows user and just make an arrangement whereby you can send them your files and they can just run CodeZapper/TransTools on them for you. You of course would have to find someone in a more or less similar timezone, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Michael

Hi,

The problem with Japanese files is basically that, quite often, they mix Japanese characters with numbers and letters from the alphabet, and use different fonts for each them. And when the sentence contains too many font changes, the source segment pane is hard to read in CT because of all those useless and disturbing tags. The "Clear Formatting" option in MsWord, though potentially dangerous, is my temporary solution (it works almost perfectly with the files I'm translating right now - they have a very simple layout -, but might be dangerous with other, more complex files). So, with this "tags and background colour solution", Instead of tags I see only empty spaces, which is less disturbing for the eyes (brain).

---
@Michael: how about just using the shortcut to delete all tags

Since the problem is with the source segment pane, removing the tags from the target doesn't change anything. I just need to see the text in the source segment pane exactly as it is displayed in the "Source Segment Preview" (plain text, without tags). I tried to change CT's layout to hide the source pane and display the Source Segment Preview just above the target segment pane, but with no success until now. That might be the best solution if Igor cannot implement some "Display/Hide tags" option for the source segment pane.

Alain:... they mix Japanese characters with numbers and letters from the alphabet, and use different fonts for each them

I see. Nothing to do with rogue tags or OCR, not solvable by CZ or TransTools. Useful tags... but not for you. And hiding the tags is a solution, in this case. Writing a script to toggle them isn't particularly easy (Read: I can't do it, I think). So it's Igor to the rescue?

H.

Wait a minute, the Preview pane does show basic formatting, wouldn't that be enough in most cases?

H.

Yes, as I said above I can put the Source Preview Pane (with the Target hidden) just above my Target pane (the one for translation), and hide the Source Pane. It works, but since Igor arleady implemented a function to hide boundary tags, one further step would be to hide/display tags inside boundaries, so there would be no need to mess with CT's layout as I did.

HI Alain,

The option to hide the tags of the current segment should be included in the coming update.

Igor

1 person likes this
Igor, I'm using this new option very often, but it still needs some improvement. Quite often I have to display, hide, display, hide tags a few dozen times in the same text, according to the context.
If I understand, CT cannot switch (display/hide) tags within the opened segment (the setting always applies to the next segment). So this is time consuming.

I have another suggestion for this problem: we already can change the tags color, but not the tags font size. I think it would be better than Display/Hide. I could select a very small font size for the tags, so that they don't disturb the eyes... but are still visible. Is it possible? It would be a real improvement for Japanese doc(x) files.

How about a very light shade of grey? I guess there are 50 different ones to choose from.

Lean back, relaxed translating, looking through your eyelashes, see no tags. Bend forward, focus, see the tags.

At least, that's how I do proofreading. Perhaps it works for translating too.

Hans: How about a very light shade of grey?

English is difficult to read without spaces between words.
For Japanese, it's the opposite... it is difficult to read when there are spaces here and there. Tags make such spaces. Using a tiny font size for the tags would reduce the space size, and the eyes would greatly appreciate.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment