Start a new topic

Question on workflow with .doc file

I need to translate a .doc file.

I've converted it to a .docx and it's clear that the conversion is not a resounding success, so I need to work directly from the .doc and not via a .docx file.

I wondered whether I could get away with creating an SDL Studio project, translating the xliff file created by Studio and then re-exporting the translated .doc from Studio.

has anyone tried this?

Many thanks for any help,

Jeremy

Sure, that round trip works. Or with any other CAT tool that supports .doc natively. May I ask what the issues are? Lost formatting? Shifted images?

Yes, lost formatting and even some lost text! (The .doc file is a mess, probably badly extracted from a PDF - if the job wasn't on such a tight deadline, I'd explore getting the file in a different format.)

As for the lost text: this silly enough often reappears.... When saving the docx as doc again.
That occurred to me too, so I tried it - not in this case.

amos, your round-trip idea seems to be great!
I don't own Studio, but I might try the same with Wordfast Anywhere next time I have a problem with doc/docx conversion.
The native project format of Wordfast Anyway is not XLIFF but TXML, which CT also supports. As I've never worked with a TXML file in CT so far, my question is: Has anyone experienced any compatibility issues with TXML in CT?

Cheers,
Martin

CT can handle TXML perfectly. No significant issues except that you cannot split/join segments on the CT side.

And for this purpose, you can use WFP 3 (demo version) without purchasing a license, because the demo version's limitation relates to the TM size (in this case, you don't have to use any TM on the WFP 3 side).

You may have already noticed, but this workaround can also be used as an extra file filter when you want to translate only the slides of a PowerPoint file containing notes as well (both Studio and WFP3 can be set not to import the notes).

Login to post a comment