Start a new topic

URGENT CALL: Most important missing QA categories

Dear colleagues,

Could you please report the most important QA categories that you are missing in CafeTran and because of which you are using other tools like:

• Verifika
  • Xbench
  • ErrorSpy
currently?

Thanks!

HL

Some of the existing QA categories need fixing.
End punctuation should check end punctuation, not trailing spaces. (Especially where introduced by CafeTran's maddening habit of incorporating spaces into tags.) There's a separate QA item for that.

I'd also like separate checks for leading and trailing spaces. (In some cases I care about one, but not a hoot about the other.)

>I'd also like separate checks for leading and trailing spaces. (In some cases I care about one, but not a hoot about the other.)

I agree. And rearranging of Trailing spaces and End punctuation (very related) in the menu would be nice too.

I didn't verify this, but it would be great if QA terms also uses the Hunspell tokeniser: it'd reduce the number of false positives. Perhaps it's already the case.

The double word check should also show up combinations with capitals, eg. "Sie sie" (for me this means a couple of false positives in each project, but I'd prefer this anyway). 

Two Three more hints:

• a kind of overview (similar to the panel where to choose the QA elements) showing the number of QA issues – if you do not make or repeat a whole QA this gives some hints where to investigate further (without having to click away the „QA completed successfully“ window repeatedly) – or a customizable report to print all QA points out (the actual HTML file has some glitches – the color of the headers when to print it out and it reflects the bigger size of the screen fonts)
  • check boxes to ignore single QA segments (that can be unhidden at any later stage)
  • optional and reversible customization for the existing QA cases, e. g. if double word check detects  combinations with capitals or not, if "Letter case does not match" ignores segments beginning with a number or not etc.

This is the HTML QA sheet in Safari print out mode (same issue with Chrome):

>The double word check should also show up combinations with capitals, eg. "Sie sie" (for me this means a couple of false positives in each project, but I'd prefer this anyway). 

I've evaluated Checkmate this weekend and I noticed that they offer an exclusion list for this: first entry was indeed: Sie,sie :)

BTW: it would be nice if numbers, tags and punctuation marks would be treated as separating 'words' here. So '...gemaakt worden, worden vervolgens geopend...' wouldn't flag a false positive.

Can you add > and < to the brackets check too, please?

CafeTran didn't find these ones, Verifika did:

And:

Maybe there could be a solution with a kind of QA tool box.

Something like a pane that says

IF source segment CONTAINS <element_x> THEN target segment must contain <element_y> ELSE QA ERROR

And then a table where you could enter the cases of corresponding values for <element_x> and <element_y>, including variables such as "<word>", "<number>" etc.. This could cover many requests including the last posting of Hans and it could easily be customized (and break QA, of course, so it should include a QA option "Include/exclude customized QA").

1 person likes this

Perhaps this QA check can used for your idea?

Maybe, but I hardly remember how it works, and it is actually not documented. Perhaps a good moment to reactivate your wiki, I just realize it is not even saved in the Wayback Machine.

Let me add: At least I still have a certain idea how it works. 

Anyone new to CafeTran won't really get an idea, as the only thing that happens is a file dialogue to open something (but what? a text file? a CSV file? a TM? what to put where in these files?).

And two more things:

- (as an option) no restriction on number of shown QA results – I have a very low number of shown segments (25) due to RAM issues and it is not nice to have 26 alarms (as you might miss the last one).

- better sorting and/or refreshing the QA results

Based on my first use of Verifika ever, I'd like to suggest two new QA categories:

1. Number of trailing full stops

2. Include " in end punctuation check

Check number 1 will spot:

Datei öffnen... > Bestand openen..

Check number 2 will spot:

Dateien: %1, %2 und "%3" > Bestanden: %1, %2 en %3

The 2nd check is a little exotic (I admit), but can be useful.

Login to post a comment