Start a new topic

A new Proz.com and TM-Town feature

Hi everyone,

ProZ.com and TM-Town are introducing a new feature #nowxl8ing (“Now translating”) that enables translators to share with other translators descriptions of the projects they are currently working on. You can use #nowxl8ing to share experiences with colleagues, to keep a personal record of the projects you have worked on, and optionally to develop a track record over time. 

I am working on the API for this service to be included in CafeTran. The CafeTran beta version for brave testers is here: 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56031844/Cafetran.jar

Just drag and drop the Cafetran.jar file on the dashboard to update.

This feature is displayed in the optional ProZ.com service tab (the green button  called "What are you working on right now?). 

After posting the #nowxl8ing message, it can be seen at the ProZ.com home  page after posting it.

Thanks for testing!

Igor

I was wondering whether CafeTran can derive some info from your project settings, like an option to publish client, subject field and project title and or file name. Of course this has to be optional.

I am currently working for <Company> on a <Amount_Words> word translation on <Subject>, titled <Project_Title>.

Oops, I see that both the language combination and the number of words are already being published.

Any CafeTran users that will be using this feature?

Not really. Maybe a similar thing for LinkedIn or Xing (for the younger kids Facebook or Twitter) could be much more appealing. And make a bit more sense.

Popperdepop, yet another screen suddenly popping up while I'm focussing on something completely different. Luckily there is this checkbox to prevent further popperdepopping.

Is my presumption correct that when this Kudoz term search is activated, all my source segments are being sent to Proz.com?

By default, "Match exact fragments automatically" option is on. Then CafeTran sends the source segments for matching to ProZ.com. Right-click at the ProZ.com panel to turn that option off if you prefer.

Igor

I'll turn it off altogether. Haven't received one useful piece of info from Kudoz since I started testing. Hits are very basic only (words like user manual only). The blue status bar progress indicator pops up a lot, I guess that this means a lot of extra processor load. And worst of all: Proz.com, where many of my competitors can be found, gets full insight in all the texts that I translate. I'm afraid that I was too naive here. Should have realized this before.

Sorry, if I understand correctly this is a heavy breach of any confidentiality. This kind of behaviour must be made more understandable to any CT user when using or switching on this feature, and if possible this should happen immediately.

There are enough NDAs I signed to switch off the MT engines for certain projects to be deceived of this kind of backtrap.

Will there be a special CafeTran version for Proz members? Or a special Proz membership including a license for CafeTran?

Exactly my thoughts. CafeTran will possibly be the CAT tool bundled with ProZ Pro+ membership. That means hundreds even thousands of new CafeTran users. A great tool by a great developer but without a help file. "Support team" will be busy, "development team" will be busy too. Good luck Igor :)

Selcuk

1 person likes this
>That means hundreds even thousands of new CafeTran users \ That could have advantages like: more revenues that would allow an investment in documentation and videos with spoken comments, the necessity to freeze the user interface, continuity for the next couple of years, better visibility and acceptance by LSPs, etc.

From an ethical and an economical point of view, I am not a big fan of Proz. Indeed, I found some good clients there and it helped to raise a part of my business, but many things have become worse in the last years.

From the point of view of CT, it is logical – Proz has a big community (also many passive members, like me) to promote a tool. But the typical Proz member – I guess – won't be willing to fiddle around with these workarounds and very custom settings that CT (still) has, but he/she may be a friend of user-friendly assistants and wizards (of convenience). And of a good help file.

Login to post a comment