Start a new topic

David & the Goliaths

Wow, there are quite a lot of steps involved to get an mqout package with TM and glossary up and running in CafeTran.

It would be very nice if CafeTran could make another leap and start supporting these packages.

1 person likes this idea

The translation business is all about client servers nowadays. Lot of the advantages that I have with CafeTran are draining away because of complicated procedures to pick up packages from plunet servers via memoQ.

I hate it.

But whining doesn't help, does it? Grow up, Hans!

There might be the possibility with the memoQ-Plug-In for SDL OpenExchange that would need to be modified. But AFAIK it only offers access to TMs.

What exactly – in general, not only concerning servers – would be needed?

- Studio packages: Access to TBs, more reliable status handling of individual segments

- memoQ: Direct access to mqxlz files

- memoQ: Direct access to mqout files including TMs and TBs

- Studio and memoQ: Access to server resources

- Bonus track: Direct import of Transit files

Hints such as „you can rename it to zip and extract it“ is not always helpful, especially not for a huge volume of files/projects. It is about convenience.

>There might be the possibility with the memoQ-Plug-In for SDL OpenExchange that would need to be modified. But AFAIK it only offers access to TMs.

I suggested this to Igor some weeks ago and he turned it down.

>What exactly – in general, not only concerning servers – would be needed?

>- Studio packages: Access to TBs, more reliable status handling of individual segments

Can you please elaborate on this one?

>- memoQ: Direct access to mqxlz files

IMO: overdue

>- memoQ: Direct access to mqout files including TMs and TBs

IMO: overdue

>- Studio and memoQ: Access to server resources

Igor won't add this, he wrote 

>- Bonus track: Direct import of Transit files

Requested that many times. At least a feature to create return packages.

>Hints such as „you can rename it to zip and extract it“ is not always helpful, especially not for a huge volume of files/projects. It is about convenience.

Exactly! And about frightening new and unexperienced users. Hence my subject title David and the competitors: IMO a fine, small tool like CafeTran needs superbe support for other CAT tools' packages. Personally I don't need any TM Town integration or Kudoz doodles or whatever. Power to the Bauer!

>>- Studio packages: Access to TBs, more reliable status handling of individual segments

>Can you please elaborate on this one?

It is some months ago, but in Studio projects sometimes empty segments are marked as checked. This should not happen (have happened) and is frightening for any users, new or old.

Even big CAT tools like Transit now offer seamless support for competitors' packages (like memoQ, Studio). But I can see that a lot of work will be involved to support this. And then again, some clients don't send you packages. Instead, they require you to log in to their server. Either with Internet Explorer only or with their Windows CAT tool.

Windows rulezzz

Login to post a comment