Start a new topic

REQ: CafeTran as a front end for LF aligner

LF aligner is open source. The Windows version comes with a GUI but the Mac version doesn't have one. // How about making the Perl scripts of LF aligner callable from CafeTran, much like the Desktop Search Tool command line support, and allowing to use CafeTran's project segments pane to do the splitting and merging of incorrectly aligned segments?

1 person likes this idea

Being able to closely combine automatic alignment with the easy manual merge and split method CT offers would indeed be great. 

LF Aligned is an excellent piece of software and I second the idea of bringing such functionality to CT. 

Also note that OmegaT also offers an integrated aligning feature in the upcoming 4.x version (currently in trunk development version, see their yahoo group discussion). 

However, I don't think such a thing would be feasible licence-wise. Both LF Aligned and OmegaT are free software (free as in free speech, not as in free beer) released under The GPL copyleft licence. 

Which means a proprietary program such as CT cannot integrate, modify, reuse and redistribute it because it does not grant the four fundamental user freedoms in return: 

-The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0) 

-The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this. 

-The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2). 

-The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this. 

So in short, only a free/libre software with a GPL compatible licence can use the four freedoms granted by another free/libre software, a proprietary program cannot because it itself restricts those. This is the essence of copyleft. 

Speaking of open source (access to source code) may confuse that one may actually be able to simply do what the code they have access to, which is not the case, if the code is not under public domain. 

Still, as I said, it would be great to have this functionality integrated into CT, and seeing LF Aligner's or OmegaT's source code and implementation would help develko something similar (without reusing the actual code).

Thanks for bringing this up:

>Which means a proprietary program such as CT cannot integrate, modify, reuse and redistribute it because it does not grant the four fundamental user freedoms in return: 

My idea would be no integration (but perhaps I gave that impression). What I was thinking of is:

• The user will have to download LF aligner himself.
  • In the preference section he can set the path to the scripts, much like the path to OpenOffice etc.
  • CafeTran will run LF aligner.
  • CafeTran will afterwards load the generated Excel or CSV file in its project segments pane. 
Would that be in line with the GPL license?

CT already boasts an alignment feature. Besides, using LF_Aligner results in a TMX file that can be edited in CT.

H.

Responding to my own reply: The aim would be to simplify the use of LF aligner. The settings have to be made once, CafeTran takes care of the rest.

And the CSV could be matched with CafeTran's own abbrev. list.

I don't see any issue with that, as the software would not be bundled and runs separately, and you only use the output files. But I'm no expert so caution would apply.

I'm sure there is a more elegant and independant way to do it and get an improved alignment feature in CT. But if one software does it well, no need to seek further.

Right now, LF Aligner + a manual fix here and there using CT can be quite efficient!

Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't find CT's current approach quicker for large files.

A knowledge base article + video would be appreciated by the way (apart from cafetran.training video and explanations in the external manual).

cafetran.training, I think that what you miss in LF Aligner is the GUI mode. It is also not available in linux version for now, only terminal.

I use Wine on Linux to launch the .exe file and it works fine.

I reckon the same can be done on Mac as Wine is also installable on OS X.

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

What is Wine: it's a recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator). It is a free and open source compatibility layer software application that aims to allow applications designed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

Just install it and run the .exe file with it...

For other Windows programs that may work through Wine  (don't get too fancy!), but need installation (LF Aligner does not) I recommend PlayOnMac https://www.playonmac.com/en/ the Mac counterpart of PlayOnLinux, which builds on top of Wine and simplifies quite a few things.

For instance, I use PlayOnLinux to run MS Windows Office 2010 on Linux without virtualization...

I've forwarded the reply that I received from Andras, so let's wait and see what happens :).

Good to hear. I trust something good can come out of this :-)

idimitriadis: I trust something good can come out of this :-)

Probably not. Andras promised an OS X interface for LF_Align (and an OS X version of TMLookup) ages ago. Not that I care. The Terminal instructions for LF_Align are pretty good, short, and easy to follow. And if you have CT, you don't need TMLookup.

H.

Info found this thread interesting to read: http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/232595-selling_a_translation_memory_feedback_needed-page3.html Would be nice to see what CafeTran could add with regards to automatically generating a pre glossary
Login to post a comment