Start a new topic

Export back to InDesign

So I got my project imported to CafeTran from the original InDesign file, and now want to export it back to InDesign.  During the import phase, the document was moved all around - following what seems to be a whimsical disorganization.  I am hoping that things will whimsically go back into the place they belong upon export, but cannot find any resource about bringing my translation back into InDesign.

Help?

I'm trying to understand what you are saying. First, the export part: do you mean that the order of the segments in the xliff isn't the same as in the InDesign / PDF file?
I'm with Hans on this - your question could be clearer.
The basic process for creating the translated IDML files (assuming that's what you mean) is just the 'export' option. Click on export and away you go. If you mean as Hans surmises, that the order of segments in CafeTran does not correspond to the order in the PDF (or similar), that's just the way the InDesign format works. Nothing will have been moved from where it was originally,
If the InDesign file is badly laid out, changing line lengths may 'move things around', but that's the designer's problem, not yours.

Thank you all.  I expected I needed to specify that it was to be exported to IDML, but it must recognize that the original document came in that format, so it returned it to that format.  My first test export shows things to be most back in place as in the original layout.

The way the document imported into CT, I started to worry about how it was laid out originally.  I have been very hesitant to join and un-join segments, because I have worried that the original layout may have been fudged, and then may disrupt the export back into InDesign.

The "badly laid out" InDesign translated version will actually be my problem, as I did also agree to tweak the DTP version.

Better not join indeed, I guess. // Two alternatives: language terminal from kilgray: https://youtu.be/Z4GrkPtowpI // translate the downloaded mqxliff in CafeTran etc. // STAR Transit's ID filter, which creates an exchange format via a plugin in ID. The order of the segments corresponds to the order of the visible text in ID. In Transit, tables etc are displayed as such. You can translate the Transit language pair in CafeTran, but you would have to find someone with a Transit license. // Third solution, as described by Jose Henrique Lamersdorf at Proz: recreate the translated file in ID

I just realised that Language Portal can cause privacy issues.

Just edited the MQXLIFF file created by Language Terminal in CafeTran. All looks good. BTW: Merging of segments is not possible.

Login to post a comment