Start a new topic

How to remove fragments from the memory while translating?

Hello, I know I'm able to add fragments to memory as I translate without having to open the TM editor. Is it possible to do the opposite (to remove fragments) while translating?

I want to be able to eliminate those nonsense terms that are suggested the same way I can add a new fragment to memory.

Jan: ...off this record, but what is 'edit xliff, ...' in this submenu?

"Edit" comes down to "translate." Since XLIFF, SDLXLIFF, etc. are already projects, you may as well simply drop them on the DashBoard. CT will then select the right language pair, format, etc, since that information is already contained in the file.

H.

Hi Hans,

Procedure to open and merge tmx memories does not seem to work.

I can select the folder, but not open it as an entity. I can only open selected files. 

Jan: I can only open selected files. 

That's because you're one step too far. I stressed: "select the folder ("all-tm", not the individual TMX files

So select the folder, and then click Open.

H.

Hi Hans,

I don't see how I can open the folder, I can only select it and then it opens showing the files.

My command flow (after opening CT en opening a project in the correct language pair):

in menu bar:

1/ Memory

2/ Open memory

Select the folder (one click), then select Open.

H.

Jan, your problem is your workflow.
Hans is talking about merging TMXs, you've opened a project - you can't do this with an open project.
Close the project, then follow Hans instructions above.

amos: you can't do this with an open project.

Yes you can.

H.

Does not work. Mind that selecting "Memory/Open memory" shows the text help window "Browse for an existing translation memory file", NOT folder. 

It sure looks like that IK copulated it up again.

H.

But the option below Open Memory... Open Memories Folder does seem to work.

H.

Hans,

I can indeed open (with a project open) a folder full of tmx files with "Open Memories folder". 

Though in the Translations Memory pane I only see segments of a most recent translation.

How do I know all 13 files have been merged in this one?

And then I noted this, see screenshot. Isn't that the way to go for my problem, i.e. merging tmx's to one big tmx?

I will try it out.

Hello Woorden,

I have done some homework, reading carefully the three links (resources, tmx files approach & big mama approach) and also 'Total Recall as storage ... system' from 17 feb 2016. I am a rather new CTran user, with 30 projects in a dedicated folder, always translations for one client in one language pair. I am convinced I am not using the software to full effect. For me it is important:

- to implement an effective strategy to use the TM's

- to create/start using a TMX that functions as a glossary

- to recuperate the several TMX's that I have created and merge them in one file/database/TMX

- to edit this file in order to enhance the quality of the suggestions and eliminate clutter and trash.

Questions at this point:

Total Recall = memory system for segments, subsegment matching, auto assembling, concordance search, auto suggestions. > 

What is the difference with a 'master' TMX, a TMX of all TMX's?

What is the difference between Total Recall and Big Mama (being a TMX of segments, and...)?

What is the relevance of a TermBase, is it the best replacement for the Glossary function?

How do I create a TermBase?

thanks,

Jan

You'll have to save it (as one file) after opening the folder.

Not only there isn't a manual, changes aren't communicated either. My first solution used to work, but lots of people (including me, years ago) made the same "mistake" as you did, Jan. So IK changed it. Makes sense. It also confuses elderly translators...

H.

In addition to my previous post: 

I have tried out the 'import files in folder' command.

It is bizarre that this is not a command but an option you can checkmark in the menu!

The options under import are too difficult for me to understand.

Does anyone know if this a good way to merge existing tmx's, or should I look elsewhere?

tx

Jan: How do I know all 13 files have been merged in this one?

By checking it. Like a search for specific terms, looking at the number of entries, you name it.

H.

Login to post a comment