Start a new topic

Integration of Microsoft's superbe spelling checker

Would the Integration of Microsoft's superbe spelling checker on Mac/Win be something that should be investigated? Personally, I'm completely happy with the superb Dutch Hunspell, but I can see the potential for other languages where the Hunspell dictionaries aren't that great (e.g. French).

1 person likes this idea

As a work-around, you can create a bilingual export table in a Word document and spell-check this in Word:

Antidote (for French and English only though) can be used in the same setup (export and import as bilingual document) and in my knowledge is superior to Word's. Many translators swear by it.

Hunspell is the standard open-source solution and is the way to go for software integration. Language Tool could be added though.

For Libreoffice/OpenOffice, French users can check out Grammelect extension, for other languages, Language Tool offers a Libreoffice/OpenOffice extension too.

@idimitriadis: Antidote (for French and English only though) can be used in the same setup

On Mac, I use it directly from CT, without MsWord, as a service linked to keyboard shortcut. It opens the corrector's two windows. It works both with the text selected in the opened segment or with multiple segments in the Target segments preview (Filter menu).

On GNU/Linux, it's a little different, there is no "service" integration (only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Latex, and Browsers), although you can easily load the corrector through a shortcut and use the drag and drop feature or simple copy paste. The corrections are directly reflected back to CafeTran when you use it as a service? I'd like to have that too if it works like that!

Because of this difference, I find find it easier to perform a full document review when it's more than a few segments. I particularly like the fact Antidote recognizes the segment language, so you can easily work and apply changes on the segments in French or in English only.

@idimitriadis: The corrections are directly reflected back to CafeTran when you use it as a service?

No :-(
I have to use "Copier et fermer".
One more problem: tags are also imported in the corrector, and this affects the correction.
There may be a solution for the tags issue:

In Settings > Correcteur > Exclusion: enable the exclusion of text for correction between < and > :-)

Thank you idimitriadis, I already have < and > in the exclusions but it doesn't work. :-(
Aaaargh, my mistake. The text between < and > is imported... but ignored by the corrector. :-)
> It works both with the text selected in the opened segment or with multiple segments in the Target segments preview (Filter menu). // that'd be fascinating to see
@Hans: that'd be fascinating to see

Hans, there is nothing special to show, since I just open the corrector as a service. With some applications (TextEdit is one of them) the corrections made in the corrector's interface are instantly applied to the original app, but not with CT.

I have seen somewhere an unsupported API, for Notepad (on Windows, I guess).

{{{
Objet a = CreateObject("Antidote.Application");
a.LanceCorrecteur("Notepad");
}}}

I don't know if it would be possible to integrate this API to CT. (It would be fantastic...)

Igor?

Login to post a comment