Start a new topic

Product comparison chart

I am preparing a product comparison chart for some CAT tools including CT, and I am having a look at other available charts.

What do you think should be included? And which USP (unique selling point) of CT should be included or at least be considered?

>What do you think should be included?

• Speed of crucial tasks, like setting all segments of a project to a status or deleting their content or finding and replacing words in large projects

>And which USP (unique selling point) of CT should be included or at least be considered?

• CafeTran's unique and very powerful F/R dialogue box: finding and replacing in the project and TM at the same time, while case is adapted automatically
  • CafeTran's high speed, because everything's already present in RAM
  • CafeTran's autocomplete that uses all possible resources, while requiring no preparation of special lists (time is money!)
  • CafeTran's very nice drag and drop of text in the Target segment pane, while automatically correcting spaces: a real time-saver
  • CafeTran's use of plain text files for glossaries, which allows me to constantly do F/R actions to optimise my glossaries (making modifications in 1000 term pairs in other CAT tools can take a long time and require many actions which make it a difficult task to perform during the translation process)
  • All features and 'modules' (workflows) are created by one person and are totally integrated
  • Very responsive support and development
  • Speed, speed, speed
  • Stability
Things where others perform better:

• Cascading filter (memoQ)
  • Fuzzy matching of target segments (Transit), great feature to write in controlled language
  • Integration of Microsoft's superbe spelling checker

I forgot another one of my absolute favourites:

• Prioritising a specific target term from a glossary, that will be used in the rest of the session
I use it seldom, but I can see the great potential of it:
  • Insertion of target terms via Shift+Shift+letter or via the MatchBar TM

I think this context-aware target term picking is also a USP. It helps me picking 'bout' (bolt) instead of 'schroef' (screw), when the tool wrench (instead of screwdriver) is specified in the segment:

Algorithm:

You like the mechanical stuff, don't you? Of course, i love them, too.

As much as I love manuals, I hate catalogues and websites.
And please add: switching on/off MT services for a particular segment as you wish.

No other CATs are more careful about confidentiality.

CafeTran scores hi with regards to ergonomics. Features that you'll be missing in other CAT tools.

Any way to see your comparison table, Torsten?

Sorry, I am quite busy at the moment (despite of answering here in this forum). 

In the end it is about hard facts. Neither productivity nor ergonomics can really be measured. But when you tell other translators about specific features a tool has, you will be able to convince them (e.g. direct processing of a Studio package, Auto-Complete with MT and TM integration etc.).

>Neither productivity nor ergonomics can really be measured.

Not in the number of actions (clicks etc.) needed to perform an action?

Hi, Torsten

How are you doing?

"Hard facts" that I'd like to mention are:

1. Memory integration type and keep out of auto-assembling
"Manual": For a TM that the user wants to use only for occasional reference purposes.
"Keep out of auto-assembling": For a user who wants to use an off-line or desktop MT tool which can generate a TM. Owing to this feature, the user can treat that TM just like an online MT service.
The significance of this: Confidentiality.
(I'm sure this off-line feature will gain more importance in the years to come, as evidenced by an already implemented off-line Android version of Google Translate.)

2. Controllable auto-assembling
Where there are synonyms, the user can easily change term-level priority by moving the desired synonym to the beginning of the entry. I think no other CATs can do this.

3. Smart auto-completion
CT's auto-completion can pick up suggestions from the completed project target segments and typed-in words (including typos, though ;) as well, even if they are not found in the glossaries or TMs.
And the two-word-hints feature.
I think neither is offered by any other CAT.

Have a good day!

>Controllable auto-assembling Where there are synonyms, the user can easily change term-level priority by moving the desired synonym to the beginning of the entry. I think no other CATs can do this. // You can even change the priority of the alternative target terms on the fly, without changing your glossary. Via the context menu. Unique feature.
You mean this panel?

Indeed I do.

Glossary entries:

Auto-assembled result with first target term:

Prioritising of alternative target terms via the context menu. Left mouse button = for rest of translation session, right mouse button = only once.

This is a super feature: many alternative target terms are 'equal'. You cannot fine tune the priority. So, on first encounter in a project you prioritise the one that you want to use (for this project/client/subject etc.) and CafeTran will take care of the rest.

Note that I call these entries at the target side 'alternative translations' instead of 'synonyms', since I often add opposite and related words and forms. Because it's so damned easy to quickly repair a long FM just by clicking on one word and opening the context menu and selecting the correct word. Right instead of left, blue instead of grey etc.

But CafeTran's fuzzy match repair already does a great job. It's really very nice to see how powerful it is. It's a kinda magic.

Login to post a comment