Start a new topic

Does the 1,000 TU size also apply to embedded TMs in Studio packages?

However, there are restrictions to the size of any embedded Translation Memories:

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total). To remove those limitations, you need a license file generated specifically for your computer.

Does the 1,000 TU size also apply to embedded TMs in Studio packages? Even when they're set to Read-only?

Hi Hans,

Does the 1,000 TU size also apply to embedded TMs in Studio packages? Even when they're set to Read-only?

Yes, it does.

It's your thing, but perhaps it'd be smart thing to allow for big Studio TMs in read-only mode. Could create some interest. But who am I to say so? Don't know ...

Well, I believe CafeTran is already generous with the limitations. One can easily test all those features before making his/her decision.

Selcuk

Selçuk: One can easily test all those features 

True enough, if you see it as a trial version, although one of the more important features - being able to handle large resources - cannot be tried out.

An overview of the restrictions (please correct me if I'm wrong):

• Projects segments: unlimited, with the exception of the Edit TMX file feature: limited to 1,000 TUs.
  • TMs for segments/fragments, and as a result of Recall Segments: 1,000 (combined)
  • Tab del glossaries: 500 (combined)
  • Database entries: unlimited

As a trial version, it's OK, as a free version, it's not. Years ago, before Heartsome became open source / abandonware, I already pleaded for a free CT version everybody simply has to install, for example to edit TMX files.

H.

Database entries: unlimited

I am not sure about this, it should be 1,000 as well. 

Selçuk: I am not sure about this, it should be 1,000 as well. 

I hope not. Not enough to really try Recall Segments.

H.

The trial mode is a trial mode to convince future users to buy a license. Without a license, there won't be any further development (at least not in that speed and range, open source tends to be quite slow and ineffective for complex programs).

Wasn't this trial mode combined with 30 or 45 days to test it without any limitations? This would be a good solution (though I assume there might then many individual requests to extend this time).

Torsten: The trial mode is a trial mode to convince future users to buy a license.

Of course. But what I'd like to see, is a feature in CT that almost forces translators to download CT, whether they'd like to try it or not. Think of (often free) products like CodeZapper, TransTools, TMLookup, TMXValidator. And CT does boast a few of those features:

• EDIT TMX files (better than Heartsome)
  • Database (arguably better than TMLookup
  • Recall Segments (unique)
Probably more. If you can make users of other CAT tools download CT and use at least that free functionality, you're halfway there convincing them to use CT as their CAT tool. And pay for it.

H.

Login to post a comment