Start a new topic

From short product description via product number to product image at website

I'm looking for a smart way to set up a new translation project:

I have an SDLXLIFF project containing short product descriptions and long product descriptions. First a short one, in the next segment the long one.

I have also received an Excel worksheet with:

Product number TAB Short product description TAB long product description

From this I've created  a glossary:

Short product description TAB Product number

In the tabbed pane I can now see the product number for every short product description that appears in the Source segment pane.

Question: How can I smart use these product numbers to feed to a web search definition (in order to query the client's website)?

I only know a way to insert the product numbers into the Target segment pane, then select it and start the web search, but there must be a smarter way :).

Okay, since obviously nobody has an idea on how to automate this, I'd like to file a request for a feature:

Automatic web search for Fragment Memories

I'd like to request an addition to the context menu of fragment memories: Automatic web search. When this item is selected, CafeTran will automatically search the content of the target of the highest fuzzy match via the active web search resources.

The search should start once CafeTran enters idle state after entering a new segment and it should be stopped immediately, when CafeTran navigates to a new segment.

Not only can scenarios like the above one be handled with this new auto web search, but you can also use it to have every source segment of a project automatically searched in your web resource. For this you'll have to populate all target segments and save the project as a TMX. In TMX edit mode, you can F/R to remove unnecessary information, that will hinder the web search (e.g. numerical info, or quite the opposite: textual info). Save the TMX and open the translation project. Open the TMX as a fragment memory: CafeTran will query your web resource for each and every new segment.

BTW: I've just decided to use a Fragments Memory instead of a glossary, to benefit from the fuzzy matching.

Great things these Fragments Memories ;).

Login to post a comment