Start a new topic

Migrating a Heartsome termbase

Thomas asks how he can convert a Heartsome termbase to a CafeTran glossary.

His termbase has the following fields (I've replaced TABs with NewLines for clarity):

DE - TERM

DE – Source

DE – Synonym

DE – Project

DE – Definition

DE – Abbreviation

FR - TERM

FR - Source

FR – Synonym

FR - Project

FR - Definition

FR – Abbreviation

EN – TERM

EN – Source

EN – Synonym

EN – Project

EN - Definition

EN – Abbreviation

My interpretation would be that the header of the CafeTran glossary would be:

de-DE

de-DE_Source

de-DE_Synonym

de-DE_Project

de-DE_Definition

de-DE_Abbreviation

fr-FR

fr-FR_Source

fr-FR_Synonym

fr-FR_Project

fr-FR_Definition

fr-FR_Abbreviation

en-GB

en-GB_Source

en-GB_Synonym

en-GB_Project

en-GB_Definition

en-GB_Abbreviation

(all TAB characters represented as NewLines)

Is this interpretation correct?

Michael, you're the expert here. Can you please add your mustard?

I have no mustard in my kitchen at the moment, so you'll have to manage without me somehow!

MJWB

Hi,

The simplest way is: Include at least language-code headers in the glossary (three languages in his case). Additional fields can be imported and displayed without header information, but cannot be searched.

If he wants to search all fields, they must each have a header. Currently, CT allows the user to assign up to three user-defined fields (see Edit > Preferences > Definition).

So, the following may meet that person's needs (field names can be assigned by the user):

Synonym => Add as a synonym entry or include as Notes or User's Column

Project => Include as Subject or Client Column

Definition => Include as Notes or User's Column

Abbreviation => Add as a synonym entry or include as Notes or User's Column

Cheers,

Mistake!

>>  Additional fields can be imported and displayed without header information, but cannot be searched.

They can be searched even if they don't have header information.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to test your suggestion. Before reading your answer, I tried this (see attached file), which didn't work ...

txt
(783 Bytes)
Hi, Hans

I quickly reviewed your ProjectTerms. I think you forgot to add # before each header.

Example:
de-DE  --> #de-DE
de-DE_Source --> #de-DE_Source

Cheers,

And all those language codes must be added (selected) in Edit > Preferences > Definitions.

Thanks Masato!

I've now created a new project glossary (see attachment).

For Thomas (et al.): there are two approaches:

First approach

Start with a glossary template as the one attached.

When you add a new term via the yellow pencil icon, you'll get this dialogue box where you can 'only' add the three terms (one for each language). Note that you can enter multiple terms (separated by ';') per row:

To enter the other fields, you'll have to click on the blue source term, then the Term editor dialogue box will open:

you can add the other fields:

The glossary will look like:

txt
(494 Bytes)

Second approach

By adding content to Edit > Preferences > Definitions, you can force CafeTran to display extra fields in the New Terms dialogue box. However, the number is limited, so you will want to choose them wisely. Please also note that you can ad extra info in the fields like language codes (DE, FR, EN) to differentiate and that you can use the ';' to force line breaks.

The Definitions tab:

When you put the Sources in the Client or Subject field, you can create a list of your sources and pick them later in a pick list.

The New term dialogue will now look like:

And the glossary:

Question to Igor:

Would it be a good idea to duplicate (triplicate) the fields entered in Definition after every language column? Optionally, that is.

BTW Igor, the TAB order in the New term dialogue box, with DE, FR and EN isn't correct: When you're in the FR field and press TAB, you won't get into the EN field.

Seems you're beginning to tame the beast (or beginning to feel it's just a CAT?) ...

One comment: The Reference Column is the only field that can contain (active) hyperlinks. So, you'd better use one of the User's Columns for abbreviations.

Would it be a good idea to duplicate (triplicate) the fields entered in Definition after every language column? Optionally, that is.

It sounds very complicated. I just can't grasp what you aim at with the above.

>I just can't grasp what you aim at with the above.

I'm sorry to read that.

A potential new user of CafeTran approached me. He wrote that he was considering to migrate from Heartsome to CafeTran, when he could keep using his glossary. I invested time to help him.

That's all ...

> A potential new user of CafeTran approached me. He wrote that he was considering to migrate from Heartsome to CafeTran, when he could keep using his glossary. I invested time to help him.

It is very difficult to understand what you mean by "duplicate (triplicate) the fields entered in Definition after every language column". What's the use of it? How complex that would be for other users? Note that the user has already eight additional fields/columns at his disposal apart from the language columns. And he can add an infinitive number of columns in a text editor, if he wishes so.

Igor

>It is very difficult to understand what you mean by "duplicate (triplicate) the fields entered in Definition after every language column". What's the use of it? How complex that would be for other users?

No, it's not difficult to understand. It's difficult to implement. And very likely not very useful. Hence the question mark :).

Okay, peace now (not piece).

Login to post a comment